Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally deleted Mac OS on my MBP 16 inch (the intel one) how do I get Mac OS back

I accidentally deleted Mac OS from my MacBook Pro inside of my windows bootcamp partition. How do I reinstall Mac OS and wipe my drive entirely? I do not have another Mac to make an installer or anything.

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2021 6:47 PM

First make sure you have a good backup any files on your Windows BootCamp. There is a chance you may end up not being able to boot back into Windows since I'm not sure exactly what you deleted and fixing it may require modifying the partitions with Disk Utility which will most likely stop Windows from booting.

You can boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) to reinstall the same version of macOS which was last used on this laptop (in theory since sometimes it will only allow you to boot the installer for the OS which originally shipped with the laptop). If you want to install the latest version of macOS 12 Monterey that was just released this week, then boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R instead.

Launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following command in order to list the partitions/volumes on the internal drive so we can see how to guide you into reinstalling macOS so perhaps we can save your Windows BootCamp installation:

diskutil  list  internal

If you don't care about saving the Windows BootCamp installation, then just launch Disk Utility and click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive which will be called something like "Apple SSD....." and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option). Quit Disk Utility and select "Reinstall macOS".

Edit: Erasing the drive will destroy all data on the drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2021 6:47 PM in response to Apple_Collector44

First make sure you have a good backup any files on your Windows BootCamp. There is a chance you may end up not being able to boot back into Windows since I'm not sure exactly what you deleted and fixing it may require modifying the partitions with Disk Utility which will most likely stop Windows from booting.

You can boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) to reinstall the same version of macOS which was last used on this laptop (in theory since sometimes it will only allow you to boot the installer for the OS which originally shipped with the laptop). If you want to install the latest version of macOS 12 Monterey that was just released this week, then boot into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R instead.

Launch the Terminal app from the Utilities menu and run the following command in order to list the partitions/volumes on the internal drive so we can see how to guide you into reinstalling macOS so perhaps we can save your Windows BootCamp installation:

diskutil  list  internal

If you don't care about saving the Windows BootCamp installation, then just launch Disk Utility and click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Select the physical drive which will be called something like "Apple SSD....." and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option). Quit Disk Utility and select "Reinstall macOS".

Edit: Erasing the drive will destroy all data on the drive.

Accidentally deleted Mac OS on my MBP 16 inch (the intel one) how do I get Mac OS back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.