Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey killed my 2016 15" MacBook Pro

After the updated downloaded, it started installing, and on the first restart, it never came back.

Only black screen. Computer gets warm when I plug a charger, but that’s it. No other signs.

Tried to power on holding the left SHIFT, Control, Option keys for 15 seconds, but nothing.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 6:23 AM

14 replies

Oct 31, 2021 7:24 AM in response to Geff Kunert

Hum - empty space requirement were met - 29 GB ?

OR

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Cleaners, Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

Oct 31, 2021 8:19 AM in response to PRP_53

NVRAM or PRAM reset wouldn’t work as the laptop doesn’t even turn on.

The SMC I tried, but didn’t worked. Safe mode also didn’t worked. At the moment the laptop is still warm, and it’s not plugged, and still doesn’t react to nothing.

Hopefully the battery will deplete and I will try to turn on again before taking to service.

This is revolting. Official update, not a beta, and this happens.

And not only with me. I saw here on the forums, lot’s of people having their Macs bricked.

Nov 1, 2021 10:23 PM in response to PRP_53

yes, confirmed, I spend many times and now installing Big Sur. Cuz first time Im update from Big Sure, and possible load into safe mode. Yep installed on external SSD, Inside still Mojave on Fusion in iMac2019 27)

So, after upgrade I get bootloop, when attached on loading in safe mode or from 10.14 I saw in logs issue about hardwares, and error about not possible Flash from /Volumes/Update my External SSD.

Next what I do, I was try erase my external SSD, Install clean Monterey - and Its installed - data migrate from HD, all ok.

Working success 4 days, and today system stop, reboot, and again bootloop. reinstalled from recovery, not helps.

So never Im ain't will be use so fresh untested OS.

Right now repeat again all, clean external ssd, install big sure, migration data - success.

Nov 1, 2021 10:33 PM in response to PRP_53

Same exact problem here with a 2019 MacBook Pro. Shut down mid restart during the update. Over 60 gigs of free space, and never a problem before. Going to Apple tomorrow but already frustrated seeing people say they've had to pay hundreds out of pocket to resolve an issue stemming from the update.

If I gotta pay, I'd sooner toss the computer into the garbage rather than fork over money for something that was only broken by a software update. (And never buy a MacBook again)

Monterey killed my 2016 15" MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.