Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey UPDATE/INSTALLATION ERROR

I've been trying for days unsuccessfully to install macOS Monterey on my 2019 imac. I have plenty of space on the SSD, and an ethernet connection. I have tried the installation from safe mode and recovery mode but nothing. I am collecting error messages. Does anyone share my frustration?

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2021 3:07 PM

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2021 3:07 PM in response to cattus1971

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Dec 11, 2021 8:24 AM in response to cattus1971

Try using the Terminal app to find the real Apple macOS installers. For how see the instructions included here:

I want to install macOS Monterey on my Ma… - Apple Community

Also, as discussed in that discussion there has been problems with Apple server that prevented using the browser links discussed here:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Dec 11, 2021 5:53 AM in response to TamrahJo

Apparently Apple has taken down the links of the old installers. Unfortunately the only way to do this is to search for the offline installer on some particular servers. I don't recommend this unless you know how to discriminate between a legitimate and a tampered installer. Another way that occurs to me at this moment is to try to download and get the installer from an old mac compatible with Catalina in update mode. The installer would be in the Applications folder.

Dec 11, 2021 11:25 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you Old toad!!! I am running Disk Drill 4 recovery operations from Terminal (in Recovery mode) and hope to save them to brand new external hard drive - (my previous one not being recognized) AND found the info on how to install older OS things from Terminal - I'm not a guru - but was lost until I was told "scroll down and see the terminal" options which I heard shortly before seeing your reply - - - my fingers are crossed - but THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH (saying loudly and joyfully!) for taking the time to comment when I was a dumb-bunny on the update - :D

macOS Monterey UPDATE/INSTALLATION ERROR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.