Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27'' (late 2013) in restarting loop

Hi everyone,

I have an iMac 27” late 2013 and two weeks ago its kept restarting continuously and it’s a message that is a problem with the machine, I think is called restarting loop. I tried to go in recovery mode, but the loading bar froze at the half way. I tried every key combination that I could find on Google or from Apple support chat(messages) and not any luck. I should mention that 6 months ago I replaced the original hard disk with Samsung 860 evo 2TB SSD with no issues. Also, the iMac has 32GB RAM.

I removed the SSD from iMac and connected to MacBook Pro (late 2015) through usb -sata cable to boot and access my files. I could see the SSD in Finder and all my data but is not booting. Actually, the first time when I connected the SSD to MacBook Pro I could boot but it froze at the half way and after that not able to boot again. After I saved all my files manually I formatted the SSD as APFS, downloaded Catalina, but it says that Catalina installer is too old for the macOS running currently. I went to Genius Bar for help, but they didn’t manage to find the issue. They help me to download Catalina from them system but when trying to make the external SSD (of iMac) bootable using terminal, an error when erasing the SSD. I used disk utility to format the SSD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), I carefully enter the data on terminal, I change myvolume with the SSD name and the same issue. The Apple support said might be an issue with the SSD. Back home I tried everything again, I also put back the original hard drive into iMac and is not booting either. Now I bought a new SSD (the same brand) but I am afraid I will get the same results. I do not know what to do now, do you have any suggestions that I could try? Could be a hardware issue? Is the iMac too old to run again?

Thank you.

iMac 27″, 10.15

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 8:41 AM

First format the new SSD correctly and then install it. Then restart in Internet Recovery mode and see if it will install Mac OS on it.

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 1, 2021 8:51 AM in response to RemusMC

Just format it using the MBP, do not attempt to install anything on it. You can use Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which should work okay.

BTW, I would recommend buying Macsales.com SSDs. They have a better track record than Samsung.

Also, I would strongly consider replacing the computer rather than pouring money into an obsolete device that cannot run current versions of Mac OS.

iMac 27'' (late 2013) in restarting loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.