Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i store files on my macbook pro hard drive without having it backup to the icloud?

can i store files on my macbook pro hard drive without having it backup to the icloud?

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 11:59 AM

Yes. (although be aware the Macs can sync data with iCloud rather than backup data to iCloud.)

If you don't turn on iCloud Drive as described in Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support then no files on your Mac will sync with iCloud.

If you do turn on that option, then only files that you save to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac will sync with iCloud.

If you turn on the Desktop and Documents option then those files will sync. See: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you have any or all of those options turned on and want some files NOT to sync to iCloud, save (or move) them to a folder that is not synced with iCloud (i.e., a folder that is not in iCloud Drive on your Mac).

If you have any or all of those options turned on and want to turn them off, see either the "What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents" or the "What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents" section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Note that all of the above is about iCloud Drive but there are other syncing options such as iCloud Photos: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If any of the above is not completely clear to you, please reply with more questions (don't change any of your iCloud settings that you don't understand).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 11:59 AM in response to havingtrouble1

Yes. (although be aware the Macs can sync data with iCloud rather than backup data to iCloud.)

If you don't turn on iCloud Drive as described in Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support then no files on your Mac will sync with iCloud.

If you do turn on that option, then only files that you save to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac will sync with iCloud.

If you turn on the Desktop and Documents option then those files will sync. See: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you have any or all of those options turned on and want some files NOT to sync to iCloud, save (or move) them to a folder that is not synced with iCloud (i.e., a folder that is not in iCloud Drive on your Mac).

If you have any or all of those options turned on and want to turn them off, see either the "What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents" or the "What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents" section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Note that all of the above is about iCloud Drive but there are other syncing options such as iCloud Photos: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If any of the above is not completely clear to you, please reply with more questions (don't change any of your iCloud settings that you don't understand).

Nov 1, 2021 12:50 PM in response to havingtrouble1

havingtrouble1 wrote:

iCloud drive missing desktop and documents

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206985

Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204025

How to Restore Your Desktop and Documents After Disabling ...

https://www.howtogeek.com/273629/how-to-restore-your-desktop-and-documents-after-disabling-icloud-sync-in-macos-sierra/

How to find your Documents and Desktop folder contents after disabling ...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3396119/how-to-find-your-documents-and-desktop-folder-contents-after-disabling-icloud-sync.html

Finder>Go>Go to Folder>copy & paste:

~/iCloud Drive (Archive)

iCLoud Drive (Archive) - here you should find all your files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.