Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop troubles after installing Monterey

I was able to use Airdrop between a Mac and a phone (iOS) prior to installing Monterey.

After a clean install of Monterey, the phone does not show up in Airdrop on Finder. I have worked through every setting I could find.

• have checked both are connected to the same wifi network
  • bluetooth is enabled on both devices
  • both devices are set with "Airdrop everyone"

I can airdrop from the phone to the mac but not the other way around.

The first thing I am not sure about is whether this is an issue (setting) on the Mac or the phone which needs to be addressed. I would have speculated that it is to do with the phone but am not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can look to address this issue ? Most of the online articles which show up with a google search say much the same things - going through settings and reseting devices.

I did reboot the phone but not the mac (it was just clean installed a few days ago and it stopped working immediately after the clean install) .

Thank you for taking the time to read/respond.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 7:14 AM

Thanks for that update, vasrani. So you have some options at this point. Since you didn't have this issue in the new user account, you can manually move your personal info to a new user account. Here is an Apple resource that is a little older but gives a good idea of how to do this process:

OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac

Another idea is you can make a backup of your personal data and put a fresh copy of macOS on your Mac using macOS Recovery mode, as that will overwrite these system files causing the issue.

Back up your files with Time Machine

How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Otherwise, another step would be to contact Apple directly and let them investigate this further.

Get Support 

Cheers!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 7:14 AM in response to vasrani

Thanks for that update, vasrani. So you have some options at this point. Since you didn't have this issue in the new user account, you can manually move your personal info to a new user account. Here is an Apple resource that is a little older but gives a good idea of how to do this process:

OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac

Another idea is you can make a backup of your personal data and put a fresh copy of macOS on your Mac using macOS Recovery mode, as that will overwrite these system files causing the issue.

Back up your files with Time Machine

How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS

Otherwise, another step would be to contact Apple directly and let them investigate this further.

Get Support 

Cheers!

Nov 3, 2021 7:07 AM in response to vasrani

Thanks for replying, vasrani, and that additional info, it really helps! To help with this, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Nov 3, 2021 2:16 PM in response to vasrani

Thanks for doing those steps, vasrani. Since you don't have this issue in safe mode, you can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you still have this issue in a new user account, please contact Apple directly for further assistance.

Get Support 

Cheers!

Nov 2, 2021 1:26 PM in response to jdo_apple

Thank you for your input and taking the time to offer the detailed suggestion.

I had gone through pretty much most of those points earlier itself except the last one.

• devices were and are within a few feet of each other
  • 2017 MacBook pro with Monterey, iPhone 8 with iOS 15.1
  • personal hotspot is off
  • both are discoverable by "anyone" when I turn bluetooth on.
  • I turned off the firewall setting completely (so the question of the option should not come in). That said, the option of "Block all incoming connections" was disabled.

There was no change in what I could do/see. I can use the phone to see and transfer to the mac, but I cannot see the phone from the mac (and hence cannot even initiate a transfer). This was working prior to the Monterey upgrade, so I am not sure what changed - perhaps some default setting. I'm not sure I recollect the date when 15.1 came out, but it was also a recent upgrade - from the 15.0.x version.

So, I am still left wondering. I've had this happen earlier too, during OS upgrades, though usually it was bidirectional (in that both devices could not communicate with each other). Usually the immediately following upgrade fixes the issue.

Nov 3, 2021 1:53 PM in response to jdo_apple

Thank you for your input once again. 

The file system check returned 0 exit status code and showed no errors. I would guess that a clean install would have also done a file system check and formatting the disk before installing the OS. Either way, it did not change anything. 

The second option of rebooting in safe mode, at least the steps that are outlined in the linked Apple help page did seem to address the problem. While I kept the shift key pressed till the login screen, I did not see a "Safe mode" indicator anywhere on my screen. However, when I checked bluetooth, I was able to see both devices from the other device.

I rebooted the mac again - this time without pressing the shift key - and once again, the issue has come back - once again, I can only see the mac from the phone but not the phone from the mac.

So, two things - I am assuming that even though the "Shift mode" indicator did not show up, the machine was booted up in safe mode. Second, the devices were able to "see" each other in safe mode but the issue reappears when I boot normally.

Thank you for your input and taking the time. Hopefully this helps point to what is going on - whether it is just an issue on my devices (some settings ?) or whether it is a bug.

Nov 3, 2021 5:03 PM in response to jdo_apple

Thank you for your input once again. The issue isn't there in a new user account that I created. So, from what I understand you say, it is probably related to a user file in the primary account I use on my machine.

How do I narrow this down to the user file(s) ?

Are these files going to be in $HOME/Library/Preferences ?

Is there a means to "reset" whichever file(s) this is (these are) ?

Thank you

Nov 13, 2021 4:23 PM in response to vasrani

OMG after reading all the suggestions above, I went ahead and check the security settings on the firewall since it's the least work involved. Backing up and reinstalling the entire OS just because Airdrop doesn't work seems like a giant project so I was going to only do that as the last resort. Anyways, I saw that there was a red dot next to com.avast.proxy so I went ahead change it to green by allowing incoming connections. I also clicked the Automatically allow built-in software to receive incoming connections and Automatically allow downloaded signed software to receive incoming connections and voila, it works brilliantly now. Hope this helps some people and save y'all from doing an entire OS reinstall. It took of all 2 minutes. This is what I had before.

Airdrop troubles after installing Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.