Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Music Library be stored on an external HD?

I need space to install latest OS upgrade. Music library is 9 GB. I can live with it on another HD. 

Started at Apple site, Change where your music files are stored on Mac. 1st thing it says is don’t move Music library: "Important: For best results, don’t change the location of the Music folder or the folders inside it.” No explanation.

And then said, “From now on, new songs and other items you import are stored in the new location. Songs you’ve already imported stay in their current location.” That seems to say, that any new location would only be for additions? Is that correct?

Suggestions of Music library welcomed. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 1:16 PM

Yes, you can move the library to an external drive. You can move the entire ~/Music/Music folder, then press and hold down option as you launch Music and use the choose option to select the library in the new location. You open the Music Library.musiclibrary file inside the relocated folder.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 1, 2021 2:02 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks, So it's ok to do it. Now to how.

I went to User>Me>Music and there is an iTunes library and a Music library. The iTunes library is where music is, 9.2GB and I see list of my music. The Music Library has one called "Music Library.musiclibrary" and 2 previous libraries; all 3 are each 1.2MB. I clicked on Music Library.musiclibrary and it opened Music with all my music.

So, is the actual music library inn the iTunes library, and the one label Music Library has just aliases?

Do I move all of them to the external HD?

Nov 1, 2021 2:30 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

Clicking on a library file opens the application, but not necessarily with the selected file. You must use the option-start-Music method, then choose a library. The default location for a Music library is ~/Music/Music where ~ is your user's home folder. Move this folder (the nested Music folder) to a new location, then option-start-Music to select the Music Library.musiclibrary inside. The default location for media in a new Music library is ~/Music/Music/Media (which would travel with the Music folder), but if your library has been converted from iTunes then the media may well be in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media. This folder should not be moved by hand. Instead after opening the library in the new location use Music > Preferences > Files to reset the media folder such that it is <NewLocation>/Music/Media then use File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files to bring in copies of the original files. Removing the originals is a manual task once you're happy the library is working correctly in the new location.

tt2

Can Music Library be stored on an external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.