Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an old iphone as a wifi only device at home (no cellular number)

I have a new iphone and use that as my mobile device.

I am interested in using my old iphone more like a smaller wifi-only ipad.

I have no problem doing that and browsing and using various apps. The problem is with Google Voice. I would like this device that sits by my chair in the living room to be able to make and receive via VOIP (not celllular) just like I can with my ipad and with a computer. I am using Google Voice and it seems to insist on linking a cellular phone number which doesn't exist on this old phone.

Any ideas? Am I stuck using an ipad or ipad mini if I want that Google Voice VOIP connection in my living room?

Thanks

David C

iPhone X, 14

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 1:45 PM

That’s a limitation of Google Voice. From an iPhone it will only make cellular calls.

Similar questions

1 reply

Using an old iphone as a wifi only device at home (no cellular number)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.