Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete other files in the storage? It takes up almost half of my storage without knowing what it is?

How to delete other files in the storage? It takes up almost half of my storage without knowing what it is? I keep deleting my files and applications but somehow the storage still never free up enough becuase of these Other Files.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 2:05 PM

6 replies

Nov 2, 2021 2:13 PM in response to Jupynieus

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper safe to use

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category.

Please to not shoot the messenger, just alerting to what Apple Says

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Nov 3, 2021 10:43 AM in response to joshpowermac

Sorry, then one does not understand or the answers provided are not what one what's to hear.

The fact remains and will remain the same. As per Apple itself , the "Other " category is beyond the reach of the user to clean up or clean out.

There is the option, but is is drastic and bold option. Not suggested for those unfamiliar with the details and how to achieve it.

It would involve having the required Installation Media on a Bootable Installer, booting from it and Wiping the Entire Drive and all the Data on the drive. There is no recovery - period.

This would eliminate the " Other " Category and everything including the Recovery Volume on the drive.

How to delete other files in the storage? It takes up almost half of my storage without knowing what it is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.