Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware password after OS restore

To enter Recovery Mode, T2 chip and M1 Macs require a Firmware Password & some other Macs also. When restoring to factory, is the Firmware Password removed?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 1:17 PM

If that is the case, as I suspected, then the Apple Support article should be more specific as to the importance of this fact/issue.

Although is #1 in the steps listed, many people will overlook this essential step:

Should you use these steps?

If you've upgraded to macOS Monterey on a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip, follow the steps to erase all content and settings instead of the steps in this article. (In fact this should apply for any Apple Mac device that has had a Firmware password set!)

For any other Mac or macOS, follow the steps below. (Unless you have set a Firmware password on your Recovery volume!)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2021 1:17 PM in response to Jeff_W.

If that is the case, as I suspected, then the Apple Support article should be more specific as to the importance of this fact/issue.

Although is #1 in the steps listed, many people will overlook this essential step:

Should you use these steps?

If you've upgraded to macOS Monterey on a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip, follow the steps to erase all content and settings instead of the steps in this article. (In fact this should apply for any Apple Mac device that has had a Firmware password set!)

For any other Mac or macOS, follow the steps below. (Unless you have set a Firmware password on your Recovery volume!)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Nov 3, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Jeff_W.

I have reviewed the article regarding ’Set a firmware password on your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT204455’.

At some point in the update process from earlier MacOS’s, I was prompted to create a Firmware password and I have reviewed the steps necessary to remove it. My Mac mini (Late 2014) does not have a T2, nor is it a M1 silicon device and I continue to utilize the process of using a Firmware password in order to access the Recovery volume.

My question is regarding whether when a Restore to factory process is done to prepare the device for giving or sale to another user, I believe that the previous user ID including admin user password is reset or no longer exists for the new user. But if a firmware password has been set on the Recovery volume of a device, does the Restore to factory process also remove or reset that Recover volume Firmware password for the new user?

I have observed that many people have had issues attempting to set up devices they have purchased from others, when they may not have been ‘refurbished’ according to Apple guidance.

This kind of like wondering that when using adaptive cruise control on your vehicle and it slows down because of the vehicle in front of you, do your brake lights turn on to warn the car behind you?

Nov 3, 2021 6:37 PM in response to LogicalAnalysisandDiagnostics

An additional Apple Support article on the Apple Startup Utility (which that provides further clarification of security protocols for newer Mac devices).

“On a Mac with an Apple T2 chip, the Startup Security Utility provides firmware password protection, Secure Boot, and External Boot security features that give you control over how your Mac starts up. On Mac computers without an Apple T2 chip, the utility provides firmware password protection for computers that support use of a firmware password.”

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/what-is-the-startup-security-utility-on-mac-mchlf5346320/11.0/mac/11.0

Firmware password after OS restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.