Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iOS 15 how do you lock the volume on an iPad (not headphone, but actual volume)

Kids got iPads both operating iOS 15+. In the iOS 14 the removed the volume limit control (why??).

Anyone have an idea how to limit the volume from the iPad -- not headphones?

I registered my kids cartoon reaching at 85db not a full volume.

TIA...

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 12:46 PM

Same issue here. Wildly annoying to have this feature removed from the older OS. I just want my kid to be able to play Daniel Tiger and not have to hear Daniel Tiger at full blast in front of her face.

22 replies

Nov 3, 2021 1:56 PM in response to MichelleT18

Hi MichelleT18,

Unfortunately the suggested fixes do not work.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds, then turn off Change with Buttons.

The above fix does not impact video volume control.

1. To limit the maximum headset volume, go to Settings > Music > Volume Limit, then drag the slider to set the maximum volume.

The above fix does not exist in the menu anymore. It was removed in iOS 14. You follow the path Settings > Music > ???. There is no Volume Limit?

Also the Sound and Hearing FAQ is out of date. iTunes was eliminate macOS Catalina to start.

Again looking for volume limit for non-headphones for iOS 15+.

Appreciate more troubleshooting suggestions please.

Dec 13, 2021 9:51 PM in response to rambler5959

Same problem, limiting volume to max 75 decibels is simply too loud. Doing a quick Google search says it is too loud. For our children who will not, or cannot, turn their volume down there should be a better option. So many disabled people use Apple devices that you'd think Apple would make this an acceptable feature for them.

If Apple could make this better, it would be really wonderful.

Thank you!

Dec 27, 2021 8:08 AM in response to remotely_working

Ditto. As above, I have experienced the same issues. I have child with learning difficulties who does not understand instructions to not whack his Talking Tom up to full blast constantly. He knows enough to use the volume control switches but there does not appear to be a way of restricting the maximum volume level. And agree with an earlier poster - a lot of the information is out of date or incorrect. Using 15.1 on a iPad Mini.

Nov 3, 2021 12:07 PM in response to remotely_working

Hello remotely_working,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with locking the volume on iPad in iOS i5. The related article the best place to start for using Parental Controls on your iPad, and how to restrict the Volume Limit. This link goes over how to adjust the volume on your iPad, and turn off Change with Buttons which may help: Adjust the volume on iPad

For more information, check out this link: Sound and Hearing FAQ

If you'd like to leave feedback to request the feature be returned, pease provide it here: Product Feedback

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2022 3:22 PM in response to rml.gabriel

You and others make a very compelling argument for inclusion of this type of control. As I have already outlined, Apple invite constructive comment and feature requests via their product feedback pages. This would be most appropriate channel through which to voice both your concern and request for change.

For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Jan 15, 2022 12:17 PM in response to remotely_working

This is so frustrating. I have a special needs

child and he would always listen to music to the maximum volume possible. I

have had this problem for years. Each year (when a new IOS is released) somehow

this feature gets taken away. And each year I have to wait for one or two

updates to see this feature come back. What’s more, each year this feature is

found in a completely different area. One year, you would have to go to settings,

music, etc. The other year, you would have to go to sounds, the next it was

under hepatics and the forth year I don’t even remember. This time, I am

already at 15.2.1 and we still don’t have a solution. I bought a new ipad for

my son last year and with the update to IOS15 my son has not been able to use

his ipad at all ever since. I wish I could get money back but that is not an option.

To me, when this feature is not available, the devise is rendered useless. It

really is. I made multiple phone calls to Apple but all were in vain. I am just

speechless and will never understand how this feature gets taken away each and

every year. They seem not to know what they are doing – a three-trillion-dollar

company. Over the last 5-10 years, when including all iphones, ipads, macs, ipods,

and airpods,I have had at least 30 apple products. I will look to see if this feature

is available in android. If so, I swear I would never buy apply devise again. It

looks like things like this need to happen so that we finally open our eyes and

look beyond Apple.

Jan 25, 2022 3:02 PM in response to juniordawson

I also have the same problem with my second son, also autist, and the iPhone is at the moment the best option since I decided to hide the TV remote control FOR GOOD for him! The sound used to reach almost 90 on my Samsung TV. Windows has a limit software for this I already installed on the computer with success so please 🙏 create some way to limit the sound of IPHONE. My son don’t put any sort of headphones so this “help” don’t work for me…

Jan 25, 2022 4:49 PM in response to remotely_working

Apple does this each and every year. They remove that feature once a new IOS is launched. If you have an issue, they will not talk to you if you don't have the latest update. Once you update it, there is no way going back so each year we have to wait for several updates before they return that imperative feature especially if you have kids with special needs.

Apple is just trying to make sure we stay fit and keep jumping through their hoops. Yay!

Jan 26, 2022 4:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

Hi LotusPilot,

Thanks for your input. I have already submitted a feature request/comment directly to Apple (via the link previously posted). I would urge others to do so if they have not already done so. However, they do not respond individually to these requests. Posting on this forum allows a public, open debate and illustrates to others, that find this lack of feature frustrating, the reassurance they are not alone in their frustrations. This is why I have posted here. Hopefully Apple will see this, together with individual requests, and implement a change.

In iOS 15 how do you lock the volume on an iPad (not headphone, but actual volume)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.