Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera stopped working

Anyone have a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2017 and the camera just stopped working? The green light flashes but black screen. I have uploaded to Monterey and still not resolved.

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 10:24 PM

Hi,

Following document could help your issue.

If your built-in camera isn’t working on your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, try to run Apple Diagnostics if it reports camera related error(NDC001, NDC003 to NDC006).

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies

Nov 3, 2021 3:34 PM in response to debora159

debora159 Said:

"The problem started with the old OS so yesterday just upgraded to new OS. I’ve been on chat tech support with Apple twice, and have also run diagnostics (all clear, no issues found) and reset SMC. Any thing else I can check?"

-------

Confirm the Camera's Connection:

First off, see if the camera is even seen: 

1. Hold Down: the Option key
  2. Click: the Apple menu
  3. Choose: System Information or System Report
  4. Select: Camera from the list on the left
  5. Look For: any internal or external camera:

Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support. Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Nov 3, 2021 12:29 AM in response to debora159

debora159 Said:

"camera stopped working: Anyone have a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2017 and the camera just stopped working? The green light flashes but black screen. I have uploaded to Monterey and still not resolved."

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

The drivers went missing somehow. So, reinstall the macOS. Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support.

Important: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

Nov 3, 2021 4:25 PM in response to debora159

debora159 Said:

"camera stopped working: Ok I checked system info and see FT HD camera (built in) is listed."

-------

Any Security Software Installed?

Did you install any application that may have disabled it? If so, uninstall that application, as it is blacking out usage of it (for Security & Privacy purposes). IMPORTANT: Use an uninstaller to uninstall it, as just dragging it in to the trash may result in important files being lost.

Reinstall the MacOS:

Reinstalling the macOS should set it to how it should be.

camera stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.