Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection of firewire to thunderbolt 3

I just bought a new iMac 21.4 with two thunderbolt 3 ports. How can I get my old Iomega drive with Firewire to hook up?

Posted on Nov 2, 2021 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 2:10 AM

You need to buy 2 adapters:

1) Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt

2) Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire

Depending on your Iomega drive you will either have a FireWire400 oder FireWire800 connector. The adapter mentioned above gives you a FireWire800 port. If your Iomega drive has that you can just connect your FW800 cable to it. If it does only FW400 you can get an FW400 to FW800 adapter as well, but in this case I would suggest to get a FW400 to FW800 cable instead.

The chain will look like this: iMac -> TB3 to TB -> TB to FW -> FW cable to device

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2021 2:10 AM in response to smalltownmusic

You need to buy 2 adapters:

1) Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt

2) Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire

Depending on your Iomega drive you will either have a FireWire400 oder FireWire800 connector. The adapter mentioned above gives you a FireWire800 port. If your Iomega drive has that you can just connect your FW800 cable to it. If it does only FW400 you can get an FW400 to FW800 adapter as well, but in this case I would suggest to get a FW400 to FW800 cable instead.

The chain will look like this: iMac -> TB3 to TB -> TB to FW -> FW cable to device

Connection of firewire to thunderbolt 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.