Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac book pro died and refuse to be charged

I need help. My Mac is Mac book pro with touch bar that was released on 2016/2017. My mac was doing just fine this morning (i charged it, and the battery was still able to be charged at that time).

I was still in class and noticed that my battery was at 15%. I grabbed my charger and plugged it in. However, it showed "Battery is not charging. Power source: Power Adapter". I even quit my zoom meeting and tried resetting my SMC and NVRAM in panic. Still, "Battery is not charging". I tried for more than 10 times until it eventually died. Sounds stupid I know, but I was desperate. Even now it still can't be turned on yet. I left it charged for 6 hours, hoping for a miracle that didn't actually happen. After leaving it for 6 hours, I tried pressing the power button and it keeps on asking me to plug in my charger. When it is plugged, it will be charged for 5 seconds and then stop charging. If I press the power button while charging, the screen will remain pitch black. If I plug in my charger without pressing the power button beforehand, it will not be charged even for a second. I'm using the cable C power adapter with no light indicator whatsoever, so I'm not sure if the fault lies on my charger. But since it was able to be charged for 5 seconds once in a while, I don't think that's the case?

Sorry for the bad English, it's not my main language. Hope someone can help me to figure out what's wrong

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 9:24 AM

Did you try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop if you have the Touchbar model with four ports?

Try rotating the connector on the USB-C connector 180 degrees upside down when plugging the charger back into the laptop. Sometimes this will work if the USB-C port is half bad.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry. Try using another charger & charging cable.

Plug the charger directly into the laptop since multi-port adapters, docks, hubs, etc. may not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If none of this helps, then you will need to take your laptop, charger & charging cable to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined to receive a repair estimate.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 9:24 AM in response to rielaaa

Did you try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop if you have the Touchbar model with four ports?

Try rotating the connector on the USB-C connector 180 degrees upside down when plugging the charger back into the laptop. Sometimes this will work if the USB-C port is half bad.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry. Try using another charger & charging cable.

Plug the charger directly into the laptop since multi-port adapters, docks, hubs, etc. may not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting USB-C charging issues:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If none of this helps, then you will need to take your laptop, charger & charging cable to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined to receive a repair estimate.

Mac book pro died and refuse to be charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.