Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook

how do i wipe my second hand macbook, i want all data and files off it as i only just got it.

MacBook Air 11″, 10.13

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 12:03 PM

hi, SophieTiffin, I think I can help you. You'd use Disk Utility....which, based on the screenshot of your MacBook Air, you're already in. Just click on the Internal drive/volume, which is called "Untitled" and the "erase" option should be available to you.....I'd ask if you already had a backup system going and you already did a backup of your stuff before erasing, which is a smart thing to do. After secure erasing, your MacBook Air supports Internet Recovery.... so plug in an Ethernet cable and do Internet Recovery, which is Option+Shift+Command+R held down on startup..... you could try to do it over wifi.....and it'll ask you to find a close WiFi network, but it'll take longer as compared to doing it over Ethernet......

hope this helps

John b

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2021 12:03 PM in response to sophietiffin

hi, SophieTiffin, I think I can help you. You'd use Disk Utility....which, based on the screenshot of your MacBook Air, you're already in. Just click on the Internal drive/volume, which is called "Untitled" and the "erase" option should be available to you.....I'd ask if you already had a backup system going and you already did a backup of your stuff before erasing, which is a smart thing to do. After secure erasing, your MacBook Air supports Internet Recovery.... so plug in an Ethernet cable and do Internet Recovery, which is Option+Shift+Command+R held down on startup..... you could try to do it over wifi.....and it'll ask you to find a close WiFi network, but it'll take longer as compared to doing it over Ethernet......

hope this helps

John b

macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.