Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes.app: restore a note after inadvertent changes? Version history?

My cheek deleted most of an important note during a phone call. Is there a changes-tracking function in Notes.app? Any way to undo more than the last edit, or to see the note as it was yesterday? Appreciate any help.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 9:24 AM

That's what I suspected. Sigh.

The learning is, "Don't answer the phone while in Notes on an iPhone; swipe out first." I don't know why the screen was still active while holding the phone to my ear, but it was, because I had Notes open on my MacBook Pro at the same time, and could SEE the text being mysteriously erased. It took me just long enough to figure out why that I lost some crucial information.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 9:24 AM in response to Bryan_K1

That's what I suspected. Sigh.

The learning is, "Don't answer the phone while in Notes on an iPhone; swipe out first." I don't know why the screen was still active while holding the phone to my ear, but it was, because I had Notes open on my MacBook Pro at the same time, and could SEE the text being mysteriously erased. It took me just long enough to figure out why that I lost some crucial information.

Nov 6, 2021 10:38 AM in response to jdstillw

Hello!

Do you sync your notes via iCloud?

If so, and you're unable to undo to restore that text, there wouldn't be a way to retrieve the deleted text from that note.

If your notes don't sync via iCloud, you may be able to restore your device from a previous backup that contained the unedited note. Please note that when restoring a backup, anything that was added to your device from the time after the backup was taken would be lost.

This can help with restoring a backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Take care!

Nov 5, 2021 2:59 AM in response to Bryan_K1

Thanks for the reply, Brian, but no, the note was not deleted but rather edited (by deleting most of the text in it). It is the missing text I would like to recover. If it were a single deletion, I could simply shake the phone and undo, but that method only recovered a few characters. I am still hoping there might be some kind of version history or version tracking where my full note is saved.

Notes.app: restore a note after inadvertent changes? Version history?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.