Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos sent in messages not downloading

ive only started having this problem for the past couple days, where I cant download any of the past sent images in my messages that are stored in my icloud. if I find a image that I can tap on to start downloading, it just stays at 0 bytes.

this is a message chain I have had for 2 years and amassed a total of 1700 images stored in cloud, and now *poof* nothing. i haven't deleted any of my conversations or ran out of storage on icloud either since I have 1.62 TB free. this is what it looks like now instead of "1700 images in iCloud"

I have 22 GB of storage free on my phone too so I really don't know what happening. I still have icloud photos turned on in the settings and ive never turned it off. I also haven't recently changed any settings. My phone is also currently running ios 15.1

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 2:07 PM

Hello Moon-Lady,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We're sorry to see that you're experiencing this issue with Messages, and we'd like to assist.

For this issue, we suggest closing then reopening the Messages app, and restarting your iPhone. While these steps sound simple, they can help reestablish the connection with your device and help those photos download.

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone

From there, connect your iPhone to another reliable network, such as to a family member's Wi-Fi network or to your cellular network. Doing so may provide additional clues. For instance, there might be heavier network activity on your home Wi-Fi during certain times of day (i.e. several devices at once streaming content on the same network, etc.) that could delay downloads.

If this concern isn't resolved after taking the steps above, we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: 

Get Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 2:07 PM in response to Moon-Lady

Hello Moon-Lady,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. We're sorry to see that you're experiencing this issue with Messages, and we'd like to assist.

For this issue, we suggest closing then reopening the Messages app, and restarting your iPhone. While these steps sound simple, they can help reestablish the connection with your device and help those photos download.

Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch

Restart your iPhone

From there, connect your iPhone to another reliable network, such as to a family member's Wi-Fi network or to your cellular network. Doing so may provide additional clues. For instance, there might be heavier network activity on your home Wi-Fi during certain times of day (i.e. several devices at once streaming content on the same network, etc.) that could delay downloads.

If this concern isn't resolved after taking the steps above, we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: 

Get Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

photos sent in messages not downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.