Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview pastes twice on new documents, creates duplicates

Opening a PDF file on Preview, trying to extract a few pages onto a new document: I press cmd+c and then cmv+n

Result: I get two identical documents. Two times an "Untitled document", which are duplicates.

So I close one and it prompts me to save it. And now finally, I end up with one version of what I needed -- this one not saved yet.

I am not experiencing elsewhere the issue of cmd+v pasting twice. It seems to be restricted to Preview when creating a new document from the clipboard.

It's easy to fix, but it creates unnecessary steps for something very simple, each and every time. I think it's been happening since a couple of OSs. I am on the latest update, 12.0.1.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 8:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 2:42 PM

Probably no help, but try starting in Safe Mode, then restart normally. That might reset some system cache that is causing the issue.

Does it happen when you choose the command from the menu?

Before erasing and reinstalling, does it work correctly in another user account. Guest would work to check, but you'd have to make a document available to test with.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 2:42 PM in response to fcoteb

Probably no help, but try starting in Safe Mode, then restart normally. That might reset some system cache that is causing the issue.

Does it happen when you choose the command from the menu?

Before erasing and reinstalling, does it work correctly in another user account. Guest would work to check, but you'd have to make a document available to test with.

Preview pastes twice on new documents, creates duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.