Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD Card Reader SUPER Slow in 2021 M1Pro MBP 16"

So I know Apple didn't splurge for a top-o-the-line SD card reader in the new 16" 2021 MacBook Pro, but this is ridiculous. The SD Card reader is insanely slow. How slow? Pop in an SD Card with only 30 16GB RAW files on it, and it takes 30+ minutes to import the files to Lightroom Classic. Used the SD card reader in my 5 year-old OWC Thunderbolt port, and the same card will import in 30 seconds.

Anyone have a clue what could be causing the SD Card reader to do this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 8:59 AM

Interesting. I tested several cards (all SanDisk) formatted in several different cameras, In my case every card labelled "Extreme PLUS" was a no-go (most of these were 90 mb/s)... All the cards labelled "Extreme PRO" were fine (even the ones as slow as 45 mb/s).

84 replies

Dec 13, 2021 4:26 AM in response to ChristianAhrens

Hello Christian:

You could do yourself ~ & others who may just stop here, a big

favor: by sending [Product Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple]

instead of just commenting to this peer-based discussion area.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

By doing so (& if they so choose) you may be contacted further

for input. ~ Consider the process; and it's relatively benign. It's

almost a Bug Report; only a hardware issue, that needs action.

"Please read Apple’s Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy

before you send us your feedback."

Take care & safe travels! ☺︎

Nov 14, 2021 4:22 AM in response to Matthew462

i bought the apple external sd to usb c card reader and it’s blazing on my MacBook Pro m1pro. With UHS-1 cards the internal card reader is so slow it’s unusable. I bought a new $200 uhs 2 card and it works in the internal card reader but still slower than the external card reading UHS 1. I’m going to take it into apple or exchange the m1pro.

Dec 4, 2021 11:01 PM in response to Gregory Simpson1

I also have a problem with UHS-I cards.

I am a photographer and work a lot with 32 GB SD cards Sandisk Extreme, 32 GB, 90 MB/s) . I must have 20 of them, which I use rotating in my jobs. But the reader of my new Macbook Pro has a problem with these cards: copying processes are slow or faulty or break off in the middle (error -36). The Finder shows the spinning wheel.

On the other hand, I also have several UHS-II cards (Toshiba Experia Pro, 32 GB, 260 GB/s) that always work reliably and transfer the RAWS quickly to the computer.

UHS-I is officially supported by Apple, but de facto it is not the case for me. I can rule out defective cards as they all work fine in an external reader.

I also made a screen recording of the problem, which I'm happy to provide to Apple.

Best wishes, Christian

Dec 14, 2021 3:35 AM in response to Gregory Simpson1

I have the same problem on a 16" MBP with M1 Max. The reader is unreasonably slow compared to my USB 3.1 external reader. It takes a very long time to start transferring when files are dragged to a folder on the SSD (10-15 seconds for a transfer of 100 photos) and is slow in transferring the data. Occasionally, it just throws an error and gives up. I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS 3 32GB cards that otherwise have been reliable.

I was not expecting the reader to be quite as fast as my external reader but this seems like a fault to me. I have followed K Shaffer's advice and reported this to Apple. I also recommend that others do this: include as many facts as you can (eg actual times, number/size of files).

This is a real shame because a built-in card reader is one of the improvements in this (rather good) computer.

Dec 16, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Gregory Simpson1

Same here! I’ve had my 16inch max for two weeks and I’ve never experienced such slow import/export on Lightroom. I have another call with Apple tomorrow but for the meantime I’m back on my 7 year old iMac! Can you believe after spending £3600 on it!!

mom currently trying to export my Lightroom catalog so I have it for my old computer and it’s now over 1 hour and still not exported 🙈

Dec 17, 2021 2:57 PM in response to Command_F

[Update] I updated to macOS 12.1 today (from 12.0.1). A big improvement!

I repeated the load of 101 Canon CR3 files (about 20MB each) and the transfer was much faster. The 10-15s wait before anything started was gone and the transfer was much faster. It's still slower than my external card reader but it's now perfectly usable.

Well done Apple.

SD Card Reader SUPER Slow in 2021 M1Pro MBP 16"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.