Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

having problems importing photos from an old photo library

Hi,

When I try and import photos from a different photo library, it is greyed out in the "review for import" box. Why is this happening?

I need to combine an old photo library with my current one. Or else I will lose those photos.

Thanks,

N

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:47 AM

Yes - when you open the two libraries with Monterey/Photos 7 they will be upgraded for use with Photos 7. Note it is not possible to downgrade again afterwards, so you are on a one way trip. Make sure you are happy to upgrade first.

I also stongly reccomend you take a full system backup before the upgrade.

4 replies

Nov 4, 2021 1:05 AM in response to nick bonin

Hi

You cannot import one library into another one. In fact up to Big Sur/Photos 6 it is not possible to move photos between libraries at all, unless you use the 3rd party app PowerPhotos by fat cat software (or export them from one library in re-import into the other)

If you have - or are able to upgrade - to Monterey, then Photos 7 can move images between libraries.

having problems importing photos from an old photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.