Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to install more memory in my iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013). I only have 8GB and it is no longer enough?

Is it possible to install more memory in my iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013). I only have 8GB and it is no longer enough?

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 9:17 AM

Possible but incredibly difficult as it entails a complete disassembly of the computer and an AASP would have to agree to do it for you.

If I had an 8 year 21.5" iMac circa 2012-2020 I would either deal with the issue by managing my RAM using Activity Monitor ( View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support ) or I would replace the iMac with a more up-to-date model.

The 2012 - 2020 21.5" iMacs that only had 8GB of RAM and a glacially slow 5400 RPM HD were only designed to be used for doing email and some minor web surfing. Many users did not do their due diligence when shopping and then after buying one began using them for much other work only to find their computer was not suited for the type of work they wanted to do. Sound like you?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 9:17 AM in response to junefromcoatbridge

Possible but incredibly difficult as it entails a complete disassembly of the computer and an AASP would have to agree to do it for you.

If I had an 8 year 21.5" iMac circa 2012-2020 I would either deal with the issue by managing my RAM using Activity Monitor ( View memory usage in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support ) or I would replace the iMac with a more up-to-date model.

The 2012 - 2020 21.5" iMacs that only had 8GB of RAM and a glacially slow 5400 RPM HD were only designed to be used for doing email and some minor web surfing. Many users did not do their due diligence when shopping and then after buying one began using them for much other work only to find their computer was not suited for the type of work they wanted to do. Sound like you?

Nov 4, 2021 10:31 AM in response to junefromcoatbridge

I agree with the others: if you computer feels slow, you have a drive problem, not a RAM problem base don hundreds of similar reports here. Entry-level 21.5-inch iMacs from 2012 through 2019 were fitted with slow, under-spec mech hard drives that are demonstrably slower than the mech drives installed to entry-level 2011 21.5-inch iMacs by about1/3.

This is a quick FAQ that helps sort RAM issues from storage issues:

• Is the computer slow to boot?
  • Are apps slow to launch?
  • Once launched, do apps seem to run normally except when you load or save a file?

If you come back with three "YES" answers, you have a slow storage issue. You can throw huge amounts of RAM at the problem and not change a thing.

If you want to verify our diagnosis with a performance reporting app, let us know.

The external SSD option that MrHoffman mentions is the most cost-effective short-term patch. It will live on after your current computer has breathed its last because, when you get a new computer, you can still use the external on your next one for routine storage. So you are not "throwing good money after bad."

If your iMac currently has a Fusion drive or a factory SSD, then we need to alter the course of the discussion.

Nov 4, 2021 9:18 AM in response to junefromcoatbridge

Hi, junefromcoatbridge, I can help you....yes... it's possible...you should only buy memory (RAM) from reputable vendors and buy that which meets the specs that your iMac needs. memory (RAM) Should be bought and installed in pairs....try this link for a reputable vendor: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2012_21.5/DDR3L...to be sure you're buying the type you need to buy, check on the rough model number under "About this Mac " which can be found under the large Apple icon, top left of your screen....if you click on it, it'll tell you the rough model number of your iMac, eg " iMac XX,YY" ... if you search around with the link I've posted here, it'll tell you "works with iMac's model XX,YY" so that's about it.....depending on your model of iMac you can have a maximum of 16 or 32 gigs of memory (RAM)....oh, and I should mention that it looks like you need to take it to an AASP (apple authorized service provider) for them to actually install the memory.... :(

hope this helps you

John B

Nov 4, 2021 9:33 AM in response to junefromcoatbridge

Above are basically correct…

Internal memory and storage upgrades are possible here, but are best left for an Apple authorized service provider.

I wouldn’t invest much in upgrading an iMac 2013, though.

This Mac tops out at Catalina macOS 10.15, and cannot run newer macOS versions.

The least-bad workaround here for a 2013-era iMac for a few more years is probably to move to an external and Thunderbolt- or USB 3.0-connected SSD, and migrate your internal hard disk contents over to the external SSD, and boot and run from that external storage.

The internal hard disk can be used as an “attic”. (I wouldn’t keep my backups there though, as extracting that internal hard disk from a failed iMac is a hassle.)

This external SSD needs to be Thunderbolt or USB 3 connection, and not a USB 2.0 connection!

More internal memory can help mask slow storage such as a hard disk.

Faster external storage here can help mask the lack of memory.

And you can re-use that SSD on a new Mac, when you do get around to updating to another Mac such as the iMac 24” M1 model, for instance.

I’d suggest the 16 GB M1 memory configuration minimally too, as you seem to keep your Macs for a while.

Nov 21, 2021 3:22 PM in response to Jack-19

Thank you Jack 19. I bought myself the G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series you mentioned in your "How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk". What's more, I saved myself some money as I bought it in the Black Friday sales. Followed through with your explicit instructions and had no problems. I am now working from the external drive only and the change in speed has helped a lot. Not bad considering I'm 78 years old. Thanks to the Apple. community for your help.

Regards,

June T

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.