Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"print to .pdf" for OS9.2.2 ?

Anyone know of a "print to .pdf" app or extension or printer driver or whatever that I can use with OS9.2.2 in order to turn various documents (created on a wide variety of applications) into .pdf files? Thanks.

G4 (dual-1GHz, MDD), Mac OS X (10.3.x), also OS 9.2.2

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 6:14 AM

8 replies

Aug 10, 2010 1:23 PM in response to a brody

Thanks. I tried PrintToPDF but unfortunately it only recognizes a limited selection of Postscript fonts, everything else gets converted to Times New Roman. As the documents I'm most interested in printing are standard musical notation using a variety of atypical Postscript & TrueType fonts, this doesn't work for me.

Aug 10, 2010 2:07 PM in response to bob_ross

Since you are using Mac OS X, there is a version of GVOX Encore for Mac OS X that will print to PDF with Mac OS X's built in print to PDF feature. Classic printing may allow you to use this if you can create a Laserwriter 8 print definition. Check the Classic printing tips on my FAQ*

http://www.macmaps.com/printersx.html

- * links to my pages may give me compensation

Message was edited by: a brody

Aug 10, 2010 2:27 PM in response to a brody

Well, I was really hoping to avoid having to change to a different notation software application... it's not that I mind learning a new app, it's that I have almost 20 years worth of work stored in this other OS9-only system!

As it stands I have figured out a convoluted and inelegant workaround involving exporting as Encapsulated Postscript files, then rebooting in OSX and running Preview to convert those .EPS files to .PDF files, then moving the .PDF files over to my PC which is connected to the HP Deskjet printer... totally Rube Goldberg!

Message was edited by: bob_ross

Aug 15, 2010 11:05 AM in response to bob_ross

The LaserWriter 8 driver can produce Postscript files on disk as well as printing to many real Postscript printers.

You proceed as if you actually have a LaserWriter, then in the Print dialog, click Destination: "Postscript® File" radio button instead of the default Printer button. Fonts available on your Mac can be included in the output. Lack of a real LaserWriter is not a problem.

How (or whether) you then fix the subtle difference between a Postscript file and a .pdf, I am not quite sure.

Aug 16, 2010 7:38 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yeah, I've already successfully created Postscript files from the application I want to print. My goal is to be able to print directly from the application while running under OS9, rather than what is now a multi-step process:
1) create a Postscript file
2) reboot the Mac under OSX
3) open the Postscript file & convert to PDF
4) move the PDF file over to a different computer which is connected to a printer
5) print

Are you suggesting that the LaserWriter 8 driver might allow me to print directly to an HP DeskJet USB printer while running OS9? I must admit, I haven't tried that yet!

Aug 16, 2010 8:59 AM in response to bob_ross

print directly to an HP DeskJet USB printer while running OS9?

Will that printer accept Postscript files directly?

You mentioned another computer connected to that printer. What computer is it, and what OS is it running?

Have you considered sharing that printer from the other computer and using OS 9 Desktop Printing (which can create a Postscript Print Queue on your OS 9 Desktop and forward the print jobs to a Shared Network Printer)?

"print to .pdf" for OS9.2.2 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.