Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My cellular data is grey out

My phone requires An update but it’s not letting me update it because I’m not connected to my cellular data furthermore my cellular data is grayed out And I’m not able to turn it back on at all

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 4:51 PM

mischa1993 Said:

"My cellular data is grey out: My phone requires An update but it’s not letting me update it because I’m not connected to my cellular data furthermore my cellular data is grayed out And I’m not able to turn it back on at all"

-------

If Cellular is Greyed-Out:

Try The Following the the Order Provided:

A. Restarting the iPhone:

If any changes were made (i.e. Installed Apps), then Settings (i.e Wf-Fi), may have become manipulated technically. So, try restarting the iPhone:

1. Go To: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Shut Down
  4. Slide: Your Finger to the Right

B. Disable Cellular:

Try disabling Cellular, and using Wi-Fi instead, seeing if that makes all the difference. Cellular always overrules Wi-Fi.

C. Try manually restarting your iPhone:

2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

D. Reset All Network Settings to Default:

Example of items that will be reset: (Wi-Fi Passwords, VPN Connections, etc)

3. Tap: Reset
  4. Tap: Reset Network Settings.
  5. Enter: [Your Passcode]

As a Last Resort:

E. Restore form a Backup:

Have a backup of your iPhone? If you are not concerned with losing data, then restore your iPhone from a backup that was made when Wi-Fi was working. Prior to restoring, backup your iPhone, incase anything goes wrong with the restoration.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 4:51 PM in response to mischa1993

mischa1993 Said:

"My cellular data is grey out: My phone requires An update but it’s not letting me update it because I’m not connected to my cellular data furthermore my cellular data is grayed out And I’m not able to turn it back on at all"

-------

If Cellular is Greyed-Out:

Try The Following the the Order Provided:

A. Restarting the iPhone:

If any changes were made (i.e. Installed Apps), then Settings (i.e Wf-Fi), may have become manipulated technically. So, try restarting the iPhone:

3. Tap: Shut Down
  4. Slide: Your Finger to the Right

B. Disable Cellular:

Try disabling Cellular, and using Wi-Fi instead, seeing if that makes all the difference. Cellular always overrules Wi-Fi.

C. Try manually restarting your iPhone:

2. Select: General
  3. Scroll to: the Very Bottom
  4. Select: Shut Down
  5. Slide Finger: to the Right
  6. Wait: 30 Seconds
  7. Power One: the iPhone
  8. Try this Once More

D. Reset All Network Settings to Default:

Example of items that will be reset: (Wi-Fi Passwords, VPN Connections, etc)

3. Tap: Reset
  4. Tap: Reset Network Settings.
  5. Enter: [Your Passcode]

As a Last Resort:

E. Restore form a Backup:

Have a backup of your iPhone? If you are not concerned with losing data, then restore your iPhone from a backup that was made when Wi-Fi was working. Prior to restoring, backup your iPhone, incase anything goes wrong with the restoration.

Nov 4, 2021 4:52 PM in response to mischa1993

mischa1993 Said:

-------

Updating Over Cellular:

You can only update over cellular using an iPhone 12 or later with 5G. So, updating over cellular may not be an option.

See Here: Use an iPhone 12 or later, that is using 5G, in order to update over Cellular - User Tip

My cellular data is grey out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.