Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using keywords in Photos

How do I use keywords in Photos

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 10:24 PM

hi,

there is the link to guide:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/photos/pht8d0ad5198/7.0/mac/12.0

6 replies

Nov 4, 2021 11:46 PM in response to barbphoto

The keywords are very versatile in Photos. The link to the user guide posted by Banco_Solidi tells you, how to add and remove keywords. if you select multiple photos at once, you can assign the keywords to several photos at once.

Once a photo has keywords applied, you can use the keywords in searches or in the Filter, or in smart albums. Keywords are syncing with iCloud Photos to all your devices.

What the user Guide is not telling you, are the current bugs. You can either assign the keywords using the Keyword Manager or by typing them directly into the Info. Typing into the Info panel is currently problematic, because the info is frequently losing the focus, and you will hear a lot of beeping as you type. I would not try to assign the keywords directly from the Imports album, but wait, until the photos are appearing in "All Photos".

It is currently safer to keep the Keyword Manager open and to add the most frequently used keywords to the Quick Group. This will assign a keyboard shortcut to each keyword in the QuickGroup. Then you can assign the keywords by typing the shortcut. The. avoids the current problems with the Info. An added bonus is, that the keywords in the Quick Group can be used in the Filter.

It is possible to assign compound keywords consisting of several words. Separate the words by spaces or an underscore.

For example "America_N_Canada_Quebec" for photos taken in North America, Canada, Quebec.

Such compound keywords can be used as hierarchical keywords in searches - if I type only the first part "America_N_Canada" into the search field, I will find all photos with keywords starting with "America_N_Canada", also the photos tagged with BC or Yukon or Ontario.

Searching just for "America_N" will show all keywords for the countries in North America.

Searches seem to be treating compound keywords like hierarchical keywords since macOS 11 Big Sur.

I am just mentioning this, because we have to be careful and design our keywords in a way, that unrelated keywords are not starting with the same text, or we may be creating an accidental hierarchy. On the other hand - if we are having clear hierarchical keywords like animal_bird_sparrow, animal_bird_raven we can use it to model the hierarchy.

Using keywords in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.