Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsynch gmail and apple mail?

I'm running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 on my Macbook Air

I'd like to turn off or delete the Apple mail app and just use google mail.

There are 10 GB of storage devoted to the mail app and I don't even use the mail app.

Can i turn off the mail app or delete it entirely or is there a way to unsynch it from google mail?

Thanks for any ideas.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 8:26 AM

Under Internet Accounts in System Preferences, highlight iCloud and click the " - " at panel bottom to remove the iCloud/Apple Mail account.

You don't really delete the account, it's still there just not showing in your system if you remove it. I don't think you can actually delete it without deleting your entire account.

delete mail storage - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 8:26 AM in response to slgarden

Under Internet Accounts in System Preferences, highlight iCloud and click the " - " at panel bottom to remove the iCloud/Apple Mail account.

You don't really delete the account, it's still there just not showing in your system if you remove it. I don't think you can actually delete it without deleting your entire account.

delete mail storage - Apple Community

Nov 7, 2021 4:27 PM in response to ku4hx

Thank you; that seems to have worked. I'm no longer seeing new mail there.

However, when I look at storage on my Macbook, it shows 5 GB still in use for "mail".

I don't understand this. The mail app seems to be empty now.

And I'm using the gmail app for my mail.

So how can there by 5 GB still of mail in storage?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Also, btw, when I look at storage, it show 60 GB in "other" but when I click on manage, I can't find out anything about what that "other" is. Would love some help on this as well.

thanks!

Unsynch gmail and apple mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.