Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro and iOS 15.1 - Microphone stops working a few minutes into a voice call.

After my wife and I upgraded to iOS 15.1, the microphone on both of our phones stops working a few minutes into a voice call. We can hear the other party just fine. They stop hearing us after a few minutes into the call. Verizon Wireless has advised us that this is a known problem on certain phones running iOS 15. I just wanted to share that information here. Presently, both of our phones (iPhone 13 Pro) are quite useless for voice calls until this issue is resolved by Apple.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 4:40 PM

We have not seen the mass of reports which I would expect if a major network like Verizon was seeing enough reports to call it a 'known problem'. In my experience microphones either work or they are permanently dead. Having one side of the conversation drop out is more likely to be a problem in the cellular network, possibly poor signal in specific areas - but of course the network would be reluctant to admit this.

My suggestions;

Test with different microphones like the speakerphone function (and Bluetooth if possible) to prove whether the problem is hardware.

Look for a geographic link which might suggest network problems.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 4:40 PM in response to gordonf238

We have not seen the mass of reports which I would expect if a major network like Verizon was seeing enough reports to call it a 'known problem'. In my experience microphones either work or they are permanently dead. Having one side of the conversation drop out is more likely to be a problem in the cellular network, possibly poor signal in specific areas - but of course the network would be reluctant to admit this.

My suggestions;

Test with different microphones like the speakerphone function (and Bluetooth if possible) to prove whether the problem is hardware.

Look for a geographic link which might suggest network problems.

Nov 18, 2021 7:32 AM in response to Branta_uk

Thank you for your reply.

I was hoping that 15.1.1 would address the issue, as the Software Update clearly stated: 15.1.1 Improves dropped call performance on iPhone 12 and iPhone 13. This is exactly what we've been experiencing.

We've updated all of our phones last night, but the issue persists. This morning I was on the call with my bank (Wifi Calling) and the other party was not able to hear me after a few minutes. I had then turned off Wifi completely and connected to a local cell tower (3 bars, LTE), and the issue happened again.

If the issue was related to the local cell tower, then Wifi Calling should still perform okay, as the call is routed via internet. However, the fact that both connections yield the same result leads me to think this is a software/hardware issue with the iPhone 13 Pro.

To add a level of complexity, the issue only occurs in our home. Once we leave the neighborhood the reliability of the call is fine.

Verizon tech support just walks me through the same troubleshooting every time. Reset your house modem, reset your iPhone network settings, and restart everything. They create a troubleshooting ticket, but I never hear about the resolution.

Thanks for reading.

iPhone 13 Pro and iOS 15.1 - Microphone stops working a few minutes into a voice call.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.