Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hallo. How can I transfer ALL the photos and videos from my MacBook Air to icloud ?

How can I transfer ALL the photos and videos from my MacBook Air to icloud ?

The problem here is that my MacBook Air has very little space remaining and I have 2 terabybes in icloud.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 10:27 PM

iCloud Photos will always keep local copies of the most recently used photos and videos in your library, as space permits, and the smaller thumbnail for each item, as they are needed for browsing. It is not possible to reduce the size of the local copy of your Photos Library completely -if you are lucky, it could shrink to 10% of the size in iCloud.

The only way to get the photos completely off your Mac would be to move your Photos Library to an external volume. See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

If the external volume with the library is not connected, you can access the photos using the web interface at www.icloud.com . But it will be much less convenient than using the Photos.app.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 10:27 PM in response to Jacquesganty

iCloud Photos will always keep local copies of the most recently used photos and videos in your library, as space permits, and the smaller thumbnail for each item, as they are needed for browsing. It is not possible to reduce the size of the local copy of your Photos Library completely -if you are lucky, it could shrink to 10% of the size in iCloud.

The only way to get the photos completely off your Mac would be to move your Photos Library to an external volume. See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

If the external volume with the library is not connected, you can access the photos using the web interface at www.icloud.com . But it will be much less convenient than using the Photos.app.

Hallo. How can I transfer ALL the photos and videos from my MacBook Air to icloud ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.