You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to install a more up to date os for my Mac and it will not let me

I had a problem with my Mac. When I reinstalled it put OS Yosemite on. I have tried to update this os as my virus softwares etc. Will not support Yosemite. I have tried to update from App Store but it just tells me I have all updates. Can someone advise how to get a newer os for my Mac?

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 9:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 1:27 AM

AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions.

They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. Plus one is paying money for a Non Existing issue affecting macOS and for zero return.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2021 1:27 AM in response to olive278

AntiVirus Software should be removed as per Developers Instructions.

They are unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS. Plus one is paying money for a Non Existing issue affecting macOS and for zero return.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

I want to install a more up to date os for my Mac and it will not let me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.