Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to move to Trash: The Operation can't be completed because ".Trash" needs to be downloaded

I'm unable to move items to the trash from Finder on macOS Big Sur. Tried rebooting and tried running First Aid inside Disk Utility but the problem persists.

The strange thing is that I can move files to the trash when showing the folder from the dock and I can empty the trash without any problems. Here is a link to a video showing this behaviour:

https://borum.dev/Trash.mov

But I would really like to be able to move things to Trash from the Finder.

How can I fix this?

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 11:48 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 11:48 AM in response to Anders Borum

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Have you installed or run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Nov 7, 2021 12:06 PM in response to Old Toad

Rebooting into Safe Mode it was indeed possible to put files into the Trash from Finder. Rebooting again and returning to regular mode the problem unfortunately returned.

I didn't have any kind of "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps installed but looking through the startup items I found "Cisco Webex Meeting" and Cisco made me think of VPNs.

I disabled this entry and rebooted once more and I'm now able to put things into the trash.

Thank you so much.

Unable to move to Trash: The Operation can't be completed because ".Trash" needs to be downloaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.