Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used Time Machine/Passport on MacBookPro and sold Pro. How can I open backup contents using my iMac?

Used Time Machine/Passport on MacBookPro and sold Pro. How can I open backup contents on external Passport using my iMac? Really need to access critical files from MacBookPro.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 9:49 PM

If you still have the MBP, just copy the needed data off to an external drive. Or if you have enough space, iCloud.

If the MBP is no longer in your possession, and you used TimeMachine to backup, you need to use Migration Assistant to get data onto a replacement computer. It's not a good idea to try and copy/paste for the TM drive.

If you used a backup process other than TM, you'll need to do whatever that app instructs to retrieve backed up datas.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 9:49 PM in response to LTippett

If you still have the MBP, just copy the needed data off to an external drive. Or if you have enough space, iCloud.

If the MBP is no longer in your possession, and you used TimeMachine to backup, you need to use Migration Assistant to get data onto a replacement computer. It's not a good idea to try and copy/paste for the TM drive.

If you used a backup process other than TM, you'll need to do whatever that app instructs to retrieve backed up datas.

Used Time Machine/Passport on MacBookPro and sold Pro. How can I open backup contents using my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.