Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer all files from ICloud to hard drive

I just bought a new Mac mini and Apple Support helped me transfer all my files from my old one to my new one. We did not use the Migration Assistant. The tech managed to transfer everything to iCloud Drive on my new Mac. I now want to move all of them to my Mac hard drive but clicking and dragging doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Mac mini, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 1:20 PM

Post some more details, please?

Please post the error messages that arises when you try to relocate the files using Finder.

Some background:

There's no means to move Word documents to the Word app, or Excel documents to the Excel app.

The Microsoft Office apps can open and modify and save documents, but don't store documents.

Do you have enough free storage?

Did you perchance purchase a 128 GB Mac? Because that would be one reason why the files were moved to iCloud, and not locally. If so, that was probably done because you don't have enough room to store all of your files on directly on the Mac.

To transfer files:

To transfer files from iCloud Drive to local storage, here is the general sequence:

• Open the Finder app. That app is usually at the leftmost or uppermost position of your Dock.
  • Move to the local folder that you want to contain the documents. The Documents folder would be a common choice. Tap documents in the left navigation of Finder to select that folder as your current view.
  • Press ⌘T to open another tab within Finder.
  • In the left navigation within Finder, select iCloud Drive.
  • Select the files that you want to relocate.
  • Drag the files from the tab you're in to the other tab within Finder.

But if you don't have enough storage, this isn't going to work.

More Info

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Organize files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 1:20 PM in response to Valerie from alexandria

Post some more details, please?

Please post the error messages that arises when you try to relocate the files using Finder.

Some background:

There's no means to move Word documents to the Word app, or Excel documents to the Excel app.

The Microsoft Office apps can open and modify and save documents, but don't store documents.

Do you have enough free storage?

Did you perchance purchase a 128 GB Mac? Because that would be one reason why the files were moved to iCloud, and not locally. If so, that was probably done because you don't have enough room to store all of your files on directly on the Mac.

To transfer files:

To transfer files from iCloud Drive to local storage, here is the general sequence:

• Open the Finder app. That app is usually at the leftmost or uppermost position of your Dock.
  • Move to the local folder that you want to contain the documents. The Documents folder would be a common choice. Tap documents in the left navigation of Finder to select that folder as your current view.
  • Press ⌘T to open another tab within Finder.
  • In the left navigation within Finder, select iCloud Drive.
  • Select the files that you want to relocate.
  • Drag the files from the tab you're in to the other tab within Finder.

But if you don't have enough storage, this isn't going to work.

More Info

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Organize files in folders on Mac - Apple Support

Nov 7, 2021 1:49 PM in response to MrHoffman

I purchased a 256GB Mac Mini. Storage isn't a problem.

I did just transfer all my files from ICloud into My Documents on my local drive, thanks to your instructions.But, in the past, if I opened up Word or Excel, I could click on "Open" and access all the Word documents or all my Excel spreadsheets. I don't understand why I still can't do that.

Nov 7, 2021 1:59 PM in response to Valerie from alexandria

If you were using Office 2011 for Mac on macOS Mojave (10.14.6) or older, you will need a new license and applications for your choice of the current Microsoft 365 (subscription), or the new, single-purchase Office 2021 for Mac. This is true even if you purchased Office 2011 for Mac in the past, as Microsoft retired it in Fall 2017, and it is not binary compatible with macOS Catalina, Big Sur, or now Monterey (12.0.1).

Your Office documents remain compatible once you have the correct current applications installed.

Nov 7, 2021 2:08 PM in response to VikingOSX

I have Microsoft 365 installed on my new Mac.

I'm beginning to wonder if everything from my old Mac was transferred to ICloud because I just realized many of my Excel spreadsheets are missing as are some of my Word documents, and photos. Thank heaven I still have my old Mac. I assume I can hook up both Minis (with help) and transfer any files that were left behind?

How to transfer all files from ICloud to hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.