Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do chang a password using keychain

how do I chang a password using keychain? I can get to my password for my wifi router in keychain. can I change it there?

iMac 21.5″, 10.15

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 9:38 PM

The Keychain passwords are there simply to save you the trouble of typing then in every time they are needed.

If you find your router password in the Keychain and change it there, it won't work anymore unless you change the password ON THE ROUTER itself to match the new one you entered into the Keychain. This seems backwards: normally you change the password on the router itself (usually via a web browser interface) and then you enter the new password on your Mac, which stores it in your keychain.

It is generally not recommended to change passwords in Keychain directly. It does not present a user friendly interface and mistakes can have serious consequences.

When you try to connect to a router it will require you to enter a password to connect. That password is normally saved in the Keychain. If the router is changed so a different password is required, you connect to the router, enter the new password, and then it is saved in the Keychain.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 9:38 PM in response to Frankie Dailey

The Keychain passwords are there simply to save you the trouble of typing then in every time they are needed.

If you find your router password in the Keychain and change it there, it won't work anymore unless you change the password ON THE ROUTER itself to match the new one you entered into the Keychain. This seems backwards: normally you change the password on the router itself (usually via a web browser interface) and then you enter the new password on your Mac, which stores it in your keychain.

It is generally not recommended to change passwords in Keychain directly. It does not present a user friendly interface and mistakes can have serious consequences.

When you try to connect to a router it will require you to enter a password to connect. That password is normally saved in the Keychain. If the router is changed so a different password is required, you connect to the router, enter the new password, and then it is saved in the Keychain.

how do chang a password using keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.