Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Run RoonServer on a Mac Mini

How do you install RoonServer on a Mac Mini so that it automatically starts when the mini boots up? I would also like to boot up without having to log into the Mini. The Mini is my first iOS computer.

Currently, I am running Roon Core and I store my music library on an Innous Zenith MK2 network music player. I use the Roon app on my iPhone, iPad Pro, or Windows computers to play music. I've decided to migrate Roon Core from the Zenith to a Mac Mini. Realizing there are a number of other hardware options, if I can't get the Mini to function as I like, I will sell it and buy a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i5.

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 5:05 AM

A little clarification: the Mac mini runs macOS not iOS.

Under the RoonServer's menu bar icon there's an option named Launch at startup?. Check it and RoonServer will start automatically at every boot.

To login a user automatically go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options and choose the user you want to login automatically under the Automatic login list.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 5:05 AM in response to johnnie1948

A little clarification: the Mac mini runs macOS not iOS.

Under the RoonServer's menu bar icon there's an option named Launch at startup?. Check it and RoonServer will start automatically at every boot.

To login a user automatically go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options and choose the user you want to login automatically under the Automatic login list.

Nov 8, 2021 8:29 AM in response to johnnie1948

Hi Johnnie,

you've correctly installed the RoonServer app by dragging it from the dmg to the Applications folder. The dmg unmounting is correct as well.

After that, you double click the RoonServer app and Roon starts. An icon should appear in the menu bar (top right side of the screen). If you click on it you should see the following dropdown menu:

• Roon Status: Running
  • Launch at startup?
  • Quit

If Launch at startup? is checked then it means that Roon will automatically start at every boot.

If you set the automatic user login as explained in the other reply above, then your Mac should be ready to act as a Roon server. Just check with a restart if everything kicks automatically.

Nov 8, 2021 8:18 AM in response to johnnie1948

Hi Marco,

I got the Roon app to run unattended at startup after I dragged the Roon icon in the roon.dmg file into the Applications folder, and unmounted the roon.dmg file.

My first day working with the MacOS was day before yesterday so please bear with me. My goal is to use the mini as a Roon server only. Is there a way to run Roon Server as a daemon without having to open the Roon app? I believe Roon Server is called RoonRAAT in the Roon image file.

Johnnie

Run RoonServer on a Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.