Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an AirPort Extreme connect to an Xfinity network as a print server

I just switched from Apple extreme to Xfinity router network spreading the signal with Xfinity pods in a large house. The pods only have what I believe is called Cat 5 inputs for a printer. ( looks like a telephone jack). I have a perfectly good HP laser printer that has a USB output jack. This worked perfectly well with AirPort Extreme because they have that usb input on them but cannot work with a pod. Even with a converter from USB to Cat5 the printer is not recognized on the Xfinity network. So my question is how do you configure an APple AirPort Extreme to connect to an Xfinity network to serve as a printer server ( if at all possible). The printer is an HP Laser 2000

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 12:24 PM

Yes it should work.

Power on the airport extreme and once it is running hold in reset button for 10sec to reset it.

Now plug it by ethernet to any of the pods or main Xfinity router.

Open the airport utility on your computer or iOS device and assuming you can see the Airport under

Other WiFi Devices (1) select it and configure it using the wizard.. pretty much automatic.

Use short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Once you complete the configuration you can go back into the Airport via edit.. and turn off the wifi.. it is not required and just confuses the setup you have. Plug the printer into the airport and check that it works.

Bunch of screenshots coming to show the steps.

IMHO it is time for a new printer. They are cheap.. so once the toner in present printer is used up.. a new printer is likely cheaper than buying new (genuine) toner. Make sure the new printer is AirPrint capable and has wifi. So so much easier and better.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 12:24 PM in response to phazyme

Yes it should work.

Power on the airport extreme and once it is running hold in reset button for 10sec to reset it.

Now plug it by ethernet to any of the pods or main Xfinity router.

Open the airport utility on your computer or iOS device and assuming you can see the Airport under

Other WiFi Devices (1) select it and configure it using the wizard.. pretty much automatic.

Use short names, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Once you complete the configuration you can go back into the Airport via edit.. and turn off the wifi.. it is not required and just confuses the setup you have. Plug the printer into the airport and check that it works.

Bunch of screenshots coming to show the steps.

IMHO it is time for a new printer. They are cheap.. so once the toner in present printer is used up.. a new printer is likely cheaper than buying new (genuine) toner. Make sure the new printer is AirPrint capable and has wifi. So so much easier and better.

Nov 8, 2021 4:32 PM in response to LaPastenague

You may have issues doing what I have suggested above..

It will depend on your network components and configuration.

NOTE: If you have a desktop computer with ethernet.. it is much much easier to do with ethernet to the Extreme LAN port as well as ethernet from Extreme WAN port to the Xfinity.

Setting up over wifi when you are using a 3rd party wifi network is a nightmare.

My setup is an Asus main wireless router with wifi network consisting of a number of routers including other Apple routers.. but I have turned the Apple ones off to show you how to do this.

1/ Reset Extreme to start the process.

2/ Cable the WAN of the Airport to LAN port somewhere in your network. Either Xfinity router itself or a node.

3/ Open the airport utility and click on Other Wi-Fi Devices (1) and select the Airport

OR

go to the wireless fan in the top menu and select the new AirPort Extreme.

4/ When the Airport Utility finds the Airport it will make several checks of the system trying to figure out how to setup.. but in a purely 3rd party configuration it should setup to create a network. Go ahead with this and we can fix remainder of issues via editing.

I'm using a gen5 but setup is identical on any model Extreme.

By default it will select your user name.. please change this.. it is messy and will likely work poorly with the Xfinity.

Use short names no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Use different wifi name to your xfinity for now.

Password also pure alphanumerics but can be longer.

click Next.

Ideally you will get working setup.

If it fails as per..

Power off the Extreme.. count to 10.. power it on again.. quit Airport Utility and restart it. I have found more than half the unexpected errors are solved this way.

Post back if it still shows an error and a second attempt gets the same results.

5/ Post config edit.

We have a happy Extreme but we want to fix a couple of things.

Click the icon of the Extreme in Airport utility then click the edit in summary popup.

6/ In the internet tab fix the IP address to static.

You will also need to type in a DNS address. It can be same as the Router address above it.. for your system that will be different to mine.. say 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 are typical. Or you can use an Internet address like google public, 8.8.8.8

It is not used by the network so is purely to keep the Airport configuration happy.

Keep a record of the static IP address you set on the Extreme as it may well be useful later.

7/ Turn off wireless in the wireless tab.

8/ Make sure the Network tab Is set to Bridge mode.

Now you can update the Extreme.. and with some LUCK.. you will get a happy Airport on the network.

9/ More than likely you will get errors.

If the green light is showing on the Extreme.. power off airport utility again and restart it.

Make sure the wifi on the computer is linked directly to the wifi of the Extreme.. and make just the change to static IP and DNS .. then update.. that worked for me..

Then turn wifi off. Click the update.

Reconnect your computer back to Xfinity wifi..

Check again that the AirPort Extreme is visible and the board is green in Airport Utility. Click edit and make sure all the changes worked.

Note direct connection by ethernet to the LAN of the airport makes this easy peasy.. modifying wifi over wifi is a doomed enterprise.

Plug in the printer and make sure it is detected and able to be configured in preferences.

No luck post back or look up how to setup printer via IP address you set on the extreme.

Good luck..

BTW a proper ethernet to USB print server might be available second hand for a few dollars on eBay.. and is much better solution cf. using a router as a print server.

But even better is wifi printer.

Nov 10, 2021 5:20 PM in response to phazyme

I have not figured out yet how to turn off the new WiFi that now exists as a result of employing the Apple Extreme.

Make sure that your Mac is connected to the Xfinity WiFi

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the AirPort Extreme to select it

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the WiFi tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Network Mode from the current "Create a wireless network" to "Off"

Click Update and give the AirPort a minute to restart

for some reason my iPhone does not seem to recognize this newly added printer as a printer choice as it recognizes the other 2 printers

That would likely be because your USB printer is not an AirPrint device. At least, I can't find anything in the specifications for the HP printer that would indicate that it is.

If you want to be able to print from the iPhone, you will need to add a utility like Printopia. There is a free trial for the application, so you will know that it works before you buy.

Printopia - Print from your iPad or iPhone - Decisive Tactics, Inc.https://www.decisivetactics.com › products › printopia

Disclaimer.....I have no interest in Printopia other than that as a satisfied user.

Nov 10, 2021 5:02 PM in response to LaPastenague

I must say that your 2 part answer to my question was incredibly detailed and precise. Thanks so very much. As you suggested I connected an AirPort Extreme to one of the Pods that are extensions of my Xfinity network. I reset the Airport Extreme by pressing the reset button, and with a laptop, used the Apple Network App, to find and almost automatically connect the Extreme to the existing Xfinity network. And it signaled success. Extreme added to the network. The printer was then found by printing a test email, and adding on a printer ( the new addition ) that appeared as a choice. It was automatically configured, and a test print worked perfectly from a laptop. And it works remotely from other laptops by choosing the newly added printer. I have not figured out yet how to turn off the new WiFi that now exists as a result of employing the Apple Extreme. So I now have 2 competing signals as you advised me of. It does not appear to have slowed anything down. One other thing, for some reason my iPhone does not seem to recognize this newly added printer as a printer choice as it recognizes the other 2 printers. So I can't print to that printer from my phone as I can with the other printers. Not sure why yet. Thanks so much again. What a solid favor you have done for me. I was getting ready to retire a really great old HP 1200 Laser printer. Is it necessary to turn off the other WiFi network, and if so how? I tried to edit the settings of the extreme but did not quite figure out yet how to shut off that function of the tower (so to speak) while allowing it to still serve as a printer server. Lastly any ideas as to why my iPhone doesn't see it. Thanks again. PC

Can an AirPort Extreme connect to an Xfinity network as a print server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.