Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac is slow after the Monterey update

How can I speed up my iMac? It seems to read or write on the hard drive all the time even I have 32GB or ram. ANd in general it is much slower than Big Sur. I did the report. see the added text. I hope somebody wiser than me can help.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 12:28 PM

Monterey will not slow down the computer, however I see 2 major issues.

1. You don't backup the computer and that is extremely foolish and short sighted. Operating ANY computer without a backup plan is a 100% guarantee you will loose data. At the very least you should be backing up using Time Machine.
  2. The computer has not been restarted in 7 days. Please restart it.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Mariusariel

Monterey will not slow down the computer, however I see 2 major issues.

1. You don't backup the computer and that is extremely foolish and short sighted. Operating ANY computer without a backup plan is a 100% guarantee you will loose data. At the very least you should be backing up using Time Machine.
  2. The computer has not been restarted in 7 days. Please restart it.

Nov 8, 2021 2:08 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your kind response. I keep all y files in iCloud, which works perfectly well. So, I don't care if my hard drive crashes because there is nothing that needs to be permanently stored.

The problem has been consistent and I get several times a day an alert that I need to force quit Pages because it reaches the limits of application RAM (in most cases Pages is using about 25GB of my 32GB). This should not be the case. My document is only 18 pages long and has very few graphics and is only 3.5 MB in size. So, I guess there must be something going on.

Nov 8, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Mariusariel

Please remember that iCloud is NOT a backup tool. iCloud does not keep Mac OS backed up, your apps are not stored in iCloud nor any settings. The documents you store in iCloud are fine however I still recommend that you use a backup tool to backup Mac OS, your apps and your settings.

As for your RAM issues, are you getting the amount of RAM used by Pages from Activity Monitor or are you using some other method?

My iMac is slow after the Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.