Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to play DVDs on M1 IMac

I just got a new M1 IMac 2021 computer ... Is there some way I can watch movies on a DVD using this computer ... some gadget or accessory that anyone can recommend? (Im using the macOS Monterey operating system)

Thanks for reading.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 4:17 PM

7 replies

Nov 8, 2021 4:38 PM in response to samos3

Don't get Apple's SuperDrive as it's connection speed is the old USB. Go to MacSales.com (OWC) and search for optical drives. I recommend you get one that is drawer loading and has it's own power supply.

I have an older model of this one; OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive with M-DISC Support and it's $4 less expensive than Apple's.

Nov 8, 2021 4:51 PM in response to Old Toad

looks good .. but would that drive work out of the box ... or would I have to also get the optional "optical drive" and "16x blue ray"? im sorry but I don't understand what these technical phrases mean. i just want something simple in which I can rent a movie, and then play it on my iMac.

thx again

How to play DVDs on M1 IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.