Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what's wrong if I choose not to update my iPAD to the latest software from IOS when there's a new update?

what's wrong if I choose not to update my iPAD to the latest software from IOS when there's a new update?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 5:06 PM

The real wrong part is that updates contain security updates that help protect you and your data. Of course many of the updates also contain additional features, but it is not unusual that people are not interested in that. But you should update to help patch any bugs or vulnerabilities, and updates to security as I said earlier. While it is your choice, it is better to do the updates.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 5:06 PM in response to Tomsolis

The real wrong part is that updates contain security updates that help protect you and your data. Of course many of the updates also contain additional features, but it is not unusual that people are not interested in that. But you should update to help patch any bugs or vulnerabilities, and updates to security as I said earlier. While it is your choice, it is better to do the updates.

Nov 8, 2021 5:48 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Here is the thing what we had problems with that when there's a new update and we are yet to do it then it keeps the active app or browser frozen while using until doing the update. For example, if I open youtube and trying to play then it will play for while then froze it or if I open a browser trying to use a website, it will froze which did not allow to click on the button. Is there anything I can prevent this like after unlock the Ipad, we can set up to ask the user needs to update to the latest version before using? We had about 400 iPads and all of them frozen when there's a new software update but not yet to update.

Nov 8, 2021 6:09 PM in response to Tomsolis

Don't let anyone tell you, othetwise.

If you do NOT want to upgrade/update your Apple mobile devices, you do not have to.

I did NOT upgrade ANY of my iOS devices for three full iOS versions as iOS 11 was complete and utter garbage.

I missed the last window on iOS 12 which was OK.

iPadOS 14, so far, has been the best release of iPadOS, to date, IMHO.

iPadOS 13 was a dumpster fire of constant issues AND, to date, iPadOS 15 is following the same course as the oldef iPadOS 13.

Apple iOS/iPadOS is following the whole odd/even Star Trek the original cast movies course where odd numbetr versions of iPadOS are NOT very good, but even number versions of iOS/iPadOS get all the prevuous odd version bugs/issues/kinks all worked out and an even number iOS/iPadOS runs pretty well throughout its entire update cycle!

If you do NOT want to upgrade/update ANY of your compatible devices to the current iPadOS version, then don't.

It is YOUR device to do whatever you want to do with.

I am, currently sitting out iPadOS 15 and have left all of my familiy's devices runnning iOS/iPadOS 14.8.

Everything still works and everyone is happy with having NO iPadOS 15 issues.

So, far iPadOS 15 is, currently, just NOT very good.

I say wait it out until later point release updates for an iPadOS 15.x, that is actually halfway decent, if this, eventually, does happen.

As iPadOS 15 is, currently, still too early and it is still a mess.

If you just want to wait it out, just wait it out.

If your iPad is still doing everything you want it to do, DO NOT FEEL PRESSURED by others here to tell you what to do and make you feel you HAVE to upgrade/update your devices and computers.

Apple is more like Microsoft, for quite some time, now, foisting bad OS upgrades/updates and using its user base as OS/software beta testers.

You just do you!

If you really do not like the currrent state of iPadOS 15, then you do not have to upgrade/update your devices.

What everyone forgets to tell users, is that Apple iOS/iPadOS upgrades/updates are one-way ONLY! Forward.

So, if you do not like an iOS/iPadOS version upgrade/update, there is NO easy way OR NO WAY to revert back to your devices's previous iOS/iPadOS version.

You DO what feels best for YOU and your device usage habits.

If you are fine with the iOS/iPadOS your iPad is, currently, running, then just leave it as is.

The decision is yours and yours only.

Best of Luck to You!

Nov 10, 2021 1:49 PM in response to Tomsolis

Have you tried,

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros, 2020 iPad Air 4 and 2021 iPad Mini 6 models.

1. Press and release the volume up button.

2. Then immediately press and release the volume down button.

3. Then, press and hold the single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018 iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.