Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to contact the owner of an iPhone I found?

I found the iPhone 11 and it was locked and it was stopped and I could not access any information about the owner of the device. Can you provide me with any information about the owner of the device to contact him?

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 10:32 AM

9 replies

Nov 9, 2021 12:48 PM in response to aseeer144

Thank you for wanting to do the right thing and reunite a lost phone with its rightful owner. Its refreshing, to be honest.

As already mentioned, Apple doesn't get involved in lost or stolen devices and we can't help.

But the suggestion to turn it over to the local authorities in the hopes the owner reported it missing is really the best hope for helping them get it back.

Nov 9, 2021 4:23 PM in response to lobsterghost1

That's a great idea, but I would not feel comfortable a) putting my phone number out there or b) setting up a meeting with a stranger who may be someone I would not be comfortable meeting with anywhere. They could no doubt also be able to find out my address if they are savvy enough or steal my wallet during the meetup.

Nov 9, 2021 5:34 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Ahh, that may be ok, but I don't have a work number, so I would not put it out there. Years ago (before internet/cell phones), I picked up a nice looking couple - they said they had a problem with their car and she was/pretended to be pregnant - so I gave them a ride. They were in the backseat. I left them in the next town and later realized that they had emptied my purse: all money, ID, etc was gone. They left the purse, but got a lot of cash (that was in Europe before credit cards - carried more cash). Have never given a ride to anyone I didn't know since. .

Nov 9, 2021 5:42 PM in response to babowa

With iOS/iPadOS 15 you could use email and hide my email to make a rescue address without exposing your real address.

My domain hosting service lets me set up to 2000 addresses (and I have a couple of domains I deliberately don’t use for anything but temp or burner email addresses), so I have made burner email addresses that way in the past. If they get used, I use them until not needed, then just delete them so they no longer exist. Hide my email is perhaps even a better way to do that.

Nov 9, 2021 6:02 PM in response to Michael Black

great idea; unfortunately, we just moved and are now in an apartment type situation and internet access via Wifi is included. Cabled internet access can be purchased, but it does not give me a router, just a cable for one device plugged into the wall. Email is not available. Had to give up my previous email address from my ISP since we, effectively, no longer have an ISP (so to speak). So I chose an online email provider as my main email and have a couple of non-descript ones for use with online purchases and such. But it does not give me much control over anything.

How to contact the owner of an iPhone I found?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.