Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD PRO 2018 to OLD IPOD HIFI

Can I connect my iPad Pro 2018 to my old Apple iPod hifi via the aux in? If so what kind of audio adapter do I need from usb c to 3.5 jack? Also the voltage into the aux input is 2 volts. Thanks all, mad though it seems, I wish to keep my old Apple iPod hifi going!

John

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 3:09 PM

If your speaker system has a 30-pin dock connector, it is really old - dating back to the older hard-disk based iPod with a click wheel.

The only way to get audio to such an old system from your iPad, will be an analogue audio connection - and given your explanation will be via a 3.5mm jack. The Adapter to which I provided a link incorporates a DAC - converting the digital audio from the iPad USB-C to an analogue signal.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 3:09 PM in response to Wheelieman_67

If your speaker system has a 30-pin dock connector, it is really old - dating back to the older hard-disk based iPod with a click wheel.

The only way to get audio to such an old system from your iPad, will be an analogue audio connection - and given your explanation will be via a 3.5mm jack. The Adapter to which I provided a link incorporates a DAC - converting the digital audio from the iPad USB-C to an analogue signal.

Nov 9, 2021 12:20 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks I have one of the big old Apple all-in-one speaker systems A1121 I think, designed for the old 30 pin iPods; love the thing even runs off D cell batteries:) as well as mains. Old iPods long gone all music now on iPad Pro 2018. Just want to see if I can breathe life into what is now a classic and rare old Apple speaker. Completely bonkers I know but fun and no voice control:)))).

Hope this explains.

Thanks,

J.

Nov 11, 2021 11:54 AM in response to Wheelieman_67

Update on old iPod HIFI. Got hold of a LAYEN I-dock 4.1 Bluetooth adapter today. It is 30 pin so the old Apple Hifi powers it no problem. Paired with my iPad Pro 2018 first time and I have never heard better from Bluetooth. Am mostly bedridden the days so to have my wonderful music so easily available is simply a joy:). I had forgotten what a pleasure this speaker is to listen to over extended periods. I will try your method very soon. Thanks for your kind help. Guess I am just an old dinosaur who likes to keep old things going:::))).

IPAD PRO 2018 to OLD IPOD HIFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.