Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos missing on iMac after upgrade to Monterey

After upgrading my 2017 21-inch 5K Retina iMac to Monterey, 99% of my photos are no longer showing up on the computer. How do I retrieve the photos?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 11:31 AM

Is it currently syncing with iCloud? (What does the status say at the bottom of the all photos view?)

Alternatively it is possible you are opening an empty Monterey library and all your photos are still safe in your old library. Hold down the option key while starting photos. Is more than one library listed? If so, open each in turn to see if they contain your missing photos. Note that if you open a library from an ealier macos - there may be a delay while it is upgraded.

If you didn't take a backup of your system before upgrading, then it is also advisable to do it now before letting Monterey upgrade your old library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 11:31 AM in response to ACoop

Is it currently syncing with iCloud? (What does the status say at the bottom of the all photos view?)

Alternatively it is possible you are opening an empty Monterey library and all your photos are still safe in your old library. Hold down the option key while starting photos. Is more than one library listed? If so, open each in turn to see if they contain your missing photos. Note that if you open a library from an ealier macos - there may be a delay while it is upgraded.

If you didn't take a backup of your system before upgrading, then it is also advisable to do it now before letting Monterey upgrade your old library.

Photos missing on iMac after upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.