Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security

I inadvertently clicked a link in a phishing email. What should I do

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 4:00 PM

2 replies

Nov 9, 2021 4:17 PM in response to myohmy38

myohmy38 Said:

"Security: I inadvertently clicked a link in a phishing email. What should I do"

-------

Get a Record of the Address:

1. Go to: History menu
  2. Select: Show All History
  3. Take: a Screenshot of the Safari window

Then...

Clear Temporary Internet Files in Safe Mode:

If so, Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

1. Booting into Safe Mode: [hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode
  2. Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari: Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

Nov 9, 2021 4:08 PM in response to myohmy38

Mostly, don't panic.

On its own, clicking a link doesn't usually leave you directly exposed. If you realized the mistake quickly and didn't proceed, then you're probably OK.

If you did follow some link to a web page that asked you to log in, then all chances are that the count you used has been compromised and you should change your password on that account as soon as possible. The specifics of how to do that will depend on the site in question.

Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.