Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Calculator Rounding

I just entered 5,414,365.71 / 2 in the calculator and it gave the answer of 2,707,178.36 (insteaad of .355). If I turn it sideways it gives the correct answer, but rightway up it changes it to .36 again. Are there settings where I can stop this from happening? I'm almost certain it's never done it before?

(Using iPhone 11 Pro Max - updated to iOS 15 this morning)

Thanks!

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 5:54 PM

1000Spices wrote:

I just entered 5,414,365.71 / 2 in the calculator and it gave the answer of 2,707,178.36 (insteaad of .355). If I turn it sideways it gives the correct answer, but rightway up it changes it to .36 again. Are there settings where I can stop this from happening? I'm almost certain it's never done it before?

You must have a typo in your first number as I get a different answer than you.

But anyways, I think it's always been like that.. although I rarely ever use that app, so I could be wrong.

The problem is that it has a maximum of 9 digits in portrait orientation. So it will always round. If you are going to do calculations with lots of entered digits, you'll just have to keep this in mind. Switch to landscape to double check.. or better yet, get a better calculator app.

I have been using Calculator Pro Elite for years now, by far the best day to day calculator (I have tried at least a dozen of em)

This app will start scaling down the text size when it fills the width of the screen, and when that gets too small, it just starts a new line. Might cost a few bucks (it's been so long I don't remember what it cost), but totally worth it. And the app developer has been responsive in the past as well when I've come across issues.

Or send feedback to Apple..

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 5:54 PM in response to 1000Spices

1000Spices wrote:

You must have a typo in your first number as I get a different answer than you.

But anyways, I think it's always been like that.. although I rarely ever use that app, so I could be wrong.

The problem is that it has a maximum of 9 digits in portrait orientation. So it will always round. If you are going to do calculations with lots of entered digits, you'll just have to keep this in mind. Switch to landscape to double check.. or better yet, get a better calculator app.

I have been using Calculator Pro Elite for years now, by far the best day to day calculator (I have tried at least a dozen of em)

This app will start scaling down the text size when it fills the width of the screen, and when that gets too small, it just starts a new line. Might cost a few bucks (it's been so long I don't remember what it cost), but totally worth it. And the app developer has been responsive in the past as well when I've come across issues.

Or send feedback to Apple..

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

iPhone Calculator Rounding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.