Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Entering Passcode After Force Restart

Might've started with iOS 15, but on the iPad 7th gen, iPad Air and iPhone 6S after a force restart or low battery shut down, it now comes back with a different screen saying "Enter passcode. Touch ID requires your passcode when iPad restarts." (1st photo below.)

But as you can see, there is no way of getting the keyboard up to enter anything into the field. If you power down, then power up again, the usual black screen comes up (2nd photo below). Keyboard does show up there. Am I missing something / doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 10:12 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2021 10:17 PM in response to MichelleT18

Thank you MichelleT18. 

Which exact version of iPadOS/iOS 15 are you updated to under Settings > General > About? 

iPad 7th gen: V 15.1(19B74)

iPhone 6S: V 15.1 (19B74)

I don't have immediate access to the iPad Air. Pretty sure it was updated last Friday.

Does it occur the exact same way on all 3 devices? 

Yes, after forced restart (or dead battery shutdown) as per description in my original post above. By forced restart I mean holding down both the power button and the home button until it restarts. I let go of the buttons after I see the Apple logo.

Does it resolve itself if you lock and unlock the screen, or do you need to shut them down completely?

Might not be following you, but as per the screen caps above:

• When I see that first grey screen with no keyboard, I click the power button and the device goes off.

• I then click the power button and it turns on. But now I see a black screen with a keyboard. Now I'm able to type the passcode. 

I'm curious to know if you're able to reproduce this on your device(s).

Cheers.

Nov 10, 2021 4:26 PM in response to JohnrC123

Hello JohnrC123,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with entering your passcode when you force restart, or a low power shut down on your 2 iPad's and an iPhone on iOS 15. Which exact version of iPadOS/iOS 15 are you updated to under Settings > General > About? Does it occur the exact same way on all 3 devices? Does it resolve itself if you lock and unlock the screen, or do you need to shut them down completely?

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2021 10:41 AM in response to JohnrC123

Thank you for those details JohnrC123,

Thank you for clarifying. It sounds like locking the screen and unlocking it again does resolve the issue. While we haven't been able to reproduce the issue, we recommend reaching out to Apple directly to continue working with you to resolve this. You can reach out to them here: Get Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Entering Passcode After Force Restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.