You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iLife apps update error

I just purchased a refurbished Mac Mini M1 Nov 2020. I updated the OS to Monterey 12.0.1 . Everything is working well, except I can't update the iLife apps. When I click on "Update", I get an error message that says: "[name of iLife app] cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID."

I purchased the Mac Mini with my Apple ID, but the computer is for my wife and uses her Apple ID. I'm concerned that this may be an issue that will pop up later as well. How can I fix this? TIA for the support.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 9:05 AM

4 replies

Nov 10, 2021 10:25 AM in response to MnJCarvalho

Which iLife app is giving the error message? Most of the iLife apps are no longer compatible with Monterey, for example, iPhoto and iWeb and iDVD.

• iDVD and iWeb: There are no Apple Replacements for iDVD and iWeb. There are no compatible upgrades either.
  • iPhoto '11: Use Photos for Mac instead of iPhoto to open the iPhoto Libraries. It comes preinstalled as a part of the system. The last system version to support iPhoto is macOS 10.14 Mojave.
  • GarageBand '11: Purchase the newer GarageBand 10 from the AppStore (for free). The last iLife version of GarageBand (GarageBand '11, version 6.0.5) can only run on macOS 10.14 Mojave or older system versions.
  • You should be able to update iMovie from the AppStore, unless you are having a very old version installed.

iLife apps update error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.