Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from Aperture to Photos - do with High Sierra machine first, or wait to do with Monterey M1?

I am finally moving from Aperture to Photos. After much thought, I think Photos will suit my needs (though I know it is nothing compared to the amazing Aperture). I am currently on High Sierra 10.13.6 and the version of Photos on my machine is Photos 3.0.

I have fully prepared my Aperture library for the migration: backed up Aperture library, exported all photos with edits and backed those up as well (in case I ever wanted to go to another program), flattened keywords, culled photos, repaired database, repaired permissions, generated high quality previews, ensured my Aperture library is on an external drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I have a new M1 Max machine coming soon - with OS Monterey and Photos 7.0 on it.

Question - should I perform the Photos Migration on my High Sierra machine with Photos 3.0 now (i.e. before transferring all data over to new M1 mac) or should I wait to do the migration on the new machine with Photos 7.0?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:21 AM

You definitely need to migrate the Aperture Libraries while you are still having a system version installed, that supports Aperture. When you open an Aperture Library in Photos, it will create a new library from the Aperture Library. This new library may need some work to recreate the slideshow project, the smart albums, fix some metadata like the dates or locations, or you may need to identify videos and photos in a format, that cannot be processed any longer on Monterey and need converting while still running High Sierra or Mojave. Only on your old mac you will be able to open both Aperture and Photos at the same time and to compare the two libraries.

Before you upgrade to Big Sur you need t9 ensure, that all edited items in the Aperture library are having high resolution previews. The reason for this is, that the adjustment will be transferred as previews of the adjusted version. If you do not render previews while yiy still can rub Aperture, you will lose the Aperture edits.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 2:21 AM in response to ZOZZ2112

You definitely need to migrate the Aperture Libraries while you are still having a system version installed, that supports Aperture. When you open an Aperture Library in Photos, it will create a new library from the Aperture Library. This new library may need some work to recreate the slideshow project, the smart albums, fix some metadata like the dates or locations, or you may need to identify videos and photos in a format, that cannot be processed any longer on Monterey and need converting while still running High Sierra or Mojave. Only on your old mac you will be able to open both Aperture and Photos at the same time and to compare the two libraries.

Before you upgrade to Big Sur you need t9 ensure, that all edited items in the Aperture library are having high resolution previews. The reason for this is, that the adjustment will be transferred as previews of the adjusted version. If you do not render previews while yiy still can rub Aperture, you will lose the Aperture edits.

Nov 10, 2021 7:43 PM in response to ZOZZ2112

Aperture won't play nice with macOS Catalina or newer, including macOS Monterey, so you should migrate your library on your Mac with macOS High Sierra.

Migrate your Aperture library to the Photos app or Adobe Lightroom Classic – Apple Support (UK)

Once you've migrated your library, you can use Migration Assistant to transfer your files from your old device to your new MacBook Pro.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

You can also use other apps to edit photos instead of, or alongside, Photos, like Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Lightroom Classic, Affinity Photo, or Pixelmator Pro.

Nov 10, 2021 11:38 PM in response to ZOZZ2112

As bumbleben says, yes, migrate first.

However: remember that Photos is a giveaway app and is nothing like as capable as Aperture was.

Also:

You can also use other apps to edit photos instead of, or alongside, Photos, like Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Lightroom Classic, Affinity Photo, or Pixelmator Pro.

In the case of Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, these are, like Photos and Aperture, parametric editors. They can only operate on images in their databases, and can only share these images by sharing them. In other words, all Photos, LRC and LR are all photo managers, and using three photo manages makes as much sense as three address books. If you want an app as capable as Aperture (and more) then Lightroom Classic is what you should use. If you want a more powerful app than Photos, Lightroom is what you might consider.

Migrating from Aperture to Photos - do with High Sierra machine first, or wait to do with Monterey M1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.