Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dim app icons

Hi!

I’m experiencing a bug where some app icons in folders appear to be dimmed for some reason. Once I open the folder, the apps look normal again. I have attached photos to demonstrate.

Someone had asked about this earlier too and the solution provided then was to turn off Screen Time, but it’s not working for me. Any other suggestions?

iPhone 13

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:02 AM

3 replies

Nov 12, 2021 6:33 AM in response to kalamauste

Hello Kalamauste,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, apps icons in folders appear dimmed or greyed out until you open the folder on the Home Screen. We'll do our best to assist with this.

You mentioned disabling Screen Time didn't solve the issue. Does this mean you disabled Screen Time altogether? If not, try to disable Screen Time altogether in Settings > Screen Time and scroll to the bottom. We mention this because both of the dimmed apps in the screenshot appear to be communication related, so it may be Screen Time blocking these apps.

If that doesn't help, do these apps have any updates available? Here's how to check: How to manually update apps on your Apple device

If you're using a VPN or security software, we'd recommend to disable them and restart the device, as these may be blocking the connection: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues

Let us know how it goes, cheers.

Nov 12, 2021 9:39 AM in response to destiny241

Hi!

Yes, I did disable Screen Time altogether and it didn’t work.

I also noticed that this problem occurred after updating the apps, so I don’t think that is the problem either.

I don’t use any kind of a VPN service, so that cannot be the issue either.

For now, I’ve managed to fix this problem by restarting my phone. I just hope that there is another fix for this available.

Dim app icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.