Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Not Working

So, this is a new one. Migration Assistant isn't working between the brand new Macbook Pro running MacOs Monterey (12.0) and the laptop I'm retiring, a mid-2015 15" Macbook running MacOS Big Sur. They are both on the same network, both have the firewalls turned off, but I keep getting a "can't connect, turn off firewall" message. It's a loop of frustration and failure.

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 7:47 AM

Stop the network thing. Make a brand new Time Machine back up on a newly formatted HDD drive using file system APFS.

Attach the drive(you might need a USB-A to USB-C dongle), open the new mac. When Start up assistant asks if you want to use a Time Machine back up, click on that.

2 replies

Nov 11, 2021 6:53 AM in response to rowanflowers

rowanflowers wrote:

So, this is a new one. Migration Assistant isn't working between the brand new Macbook Pro running MacOs Monterey (12.0) and the laptop I'm retiring, a mid-2015 15" Macbook running MacOS Big Sur. They are both on the same network, both have the firewalls turned off, but I keep getting a "can't connect, turn off firewall" message. It's a loop of frustration and failure.

Try a cable connection.

Migration Assistant Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.