Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashing on M1 iMac after updating to Monterey

I've updated to Monterey and Safari is unusable -- it crashes on launch, even in safe mode. I have reinstalled the OS, and the problem persists. I've been advised to either roll back to Big Sur or wait for an OS update.

Does anyone here have a different solution?

Thanks!

-- Lou

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 8:47 PM

I appear to have the same problem. When I click the icon on my Dock, Safari crashes every time. I tried removing extensions, etc, and nothing worked. Here's how I've worked around it...

1. Click Safari in your dock while holding down the SHIFT key on the keyboard
  2. Safari launches with no windows (but in my case at least it doesn't crash) -- this is critical
  3. In the Safari menu, go to History --> Reopen All Windows from Last Session

Safari should hopefully now be up and running for you with all your previous windows showing as usual.

Unfortunately these steps have to be followed every time you start Safari.

Hope it works for you, and I hope Apple fixes Safari on Monterey in the next patch.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 8:47 PM in response to LouBenjamin

I appear to have the same problem. When I click the icon on my Dock, Safari crashes every time. I tried removing extensions, etc, and nothing worked. Here's how I've worked around it...

1. Click Safari in your dock while holding down the SHIFT key on the keyboard
  2. Safari launches with no windows (but in my case at least it doesn't crash) -- this is critical
  3. In the Safari menu, go to History --> Reopen All Windows from Last Session

Safari should hopefully now be up and running for you with all your previous windows showing as usual.

Unfortunately these steps have to be followed every time you start Safari.

Hope it works for you, and I hope Apple fixes Safari on Monterey in the next patch.

Dec 14, 2021 2:48 AM in response to LouBenjamin

My Safari crash-on-launch problem continued even under Monterey 12.1 update today.

Launching with SHIFT did not prevent the crash either.

I removed ALL the Library/Extensions/Preferences related to Safari (the free demo version of CleanMyMac X can help discovering what and where they are).

I also deleted the "Save to Pocket" extension I had downloaded from Safari Extensions section in App Store.

And then it worked again!

Reinstalled Save to Pocket from App Store after the first successful launch, now it works correctly.

Safari crashing on M1 iMac after updating to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.