Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIM card

I just received my new iPhone 13 Pro and transferred all the apps and data. Everything works fine. My question is: do I need to remove the SIM card from my old iPhone 11 Pro and put in the 13 Pro or before trading the 11 Pro in?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 10:46 AM

Hello Bfisher003,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We've reviewed your question and it looks like you have questions about your SIM card after upgrading to a new iPhone. It's understandable that you'd want this resolved, so allow us to assist with that. The article that your question was linked from is very helpful when considering this issue, if you need to transfer your SIM contacts: Import contacts from your SIM card to your iPhone. 

As far as if you need to switch your SIM or not, that would be up to your wireless carrier. Sometimes, the new iPhone comes with a new SIM, already programmed with the carrier and account details. Other times, you will be instructed to switch it from the old iPhone to the new one. We advise reaching out to your carrier to make sure what step you should take.

If you have follow-up questions, please let us know. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Bfisher003

Hello Bfisher003,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We've reviewed your question and it looks like you have questions about your SIM card after upgrading to a new iPhone. It's understandable that you'd want this resolved, so allow us to assist with that. The article that your question was linked from is very helpful when considering this issue, if you need to transfer your SIM contacts: Import contacts from your SIM card to your iPhone. 

As far as if you need to switch your SIM or not, that would be up to your wireless carrier. Sometimes, the new iPhone comes with a new SIM, already programmed with the carrier and account details. Other times, you will be instructed to switch it from the old iPhone to the new one. We advise reaching out to your carrier to make sure what step you should take.

If you have follow-up questions, please let us know. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

Nov 12, 2021 5:31 PM in response to Chris_C1

You are exactly correct. My confusion was due to the iPhone 13 Pro having an “eSim”.

After transferring all the apps and data from my 11 Pro to the new 13 Pro my 13 worked just fine in all respects (calls, texts, etc.). Funny thing is I had a long chat discussion about this with Apple Support and they told me to remove the sim from my 11 and put it in the 13 and send my trade in 11 back to Apple without the sim. So, I put the 11 sim in the new 13 and now I had two cellular services, primary and secondary with the same number. I called Verizon and told me to take the sim out of the 13. I was a bit amazed that Apple Support didn’t know any better.

SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.