Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon IR Adv 7055 PPD?

Hello All.

I've been having a problem with my new iMac running 10.6.4 in regards to our Canon IR ADV 7055.

I can NOT get the printer to pull from the manual paper feed (ie: bi-pass).

I've tried multiple installs of different PPDs and just can't seem to find the right one.

I wasn't sure if anyone out here has had the same problem or could offer suggestions.

First off, the printer shows up as a Canon iR-ADV C9000s-A1 PSV1.0US on the network even though it's a 7055. (not sure if that's an issue or not.)

Secondly, should I be connecting via bonjor or LPD? Previous to 10.6.4 we were using bonjour. But a tech recently told me I should be using LPD.

I guess that's all the details I can think of. It's not a BIG issue, as I an print, but I'd really liked to get this fixed.

iMac

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2010 6:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Discussions.

Reading your post it looks like you have the imagePASS-A1 connected to the iR ADV C7055. This RIP supports the iR ADV C70xx series and the iR ADV C90xx series. The name that appears can be configured in the imagePASS. If you are using Canon PPDs instead of the imagePASS-A1 driver then this could explain your issue.

With the correct printer driver installed and queue created (which btw can be Bonjour or LPD or HP Jetdirect-Socket - it doesn't really matter) you should have a Fiery Features menu in the Print dialog. Within the Fiery Features menu there is a quick access panel and by default you will have a Paper Source menu, of which Stack Bypass is an option.

To get the imagePASS-A1 driver, simply open a web browser and enter the IP address of the imagePASS (7055). This will open the internal web page of the imagePASS and one of the pages here is the Download page, which contains the Windows and Mac drivers and utilities. With the driver downloaded and mounted you can run the installer to copy all the relevant files to the Mac. Then when you create your printer queue using Bonjour or IP you can select the "Canon iR-ADV C7000s-A1 PSV1.0US" via the Print Using menu.

Hope this helps you and reply if you have more questions.

Pahu
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2010 6:03 PM in response to Pitzer

Hello and welcome to Apple Discussions.

Reading your post it looks like you have the imagePASS-A1 connected to the iR ADV C7055. This RIP supports the iR ADV C70xx series and the iR ADV C90xx series. The name that appears can be configured in the imagePASS. If you are using Canon PPDs instead of the imagePASS-A1 driver then this could explain your issue.

With the correct printer driver installed and queue created (which btw can be Bonjour or LPD or HP Jetdirect-Socket - it doesn't really matter) you should have a Fiery Features menu in the Print dialog. Within the Fiery Features menu there is a quick access panel and by default you will have a Paper Source menu, of which Stack Bypass is an option.

To get the imagePASS-A1 driver, simply open a web browser and enter the IP address of the imagePASS (7055). This will open the internal web page of the imagePASS and one of the pages here is the Download page, which contains the Windows and Mac drivers and utilities. With the driver downloaded and mounted you can run the installer to copy all the relevant files to the Mac. Then when you create your printer queue using Bonjour or IP you can select the "Canon iR-ADV C7000s-A1 PSV1.0US" via the Print Using menu.

Hope this helps you and reply if you have more questions.

Pahu

Aug 6, 2010 10:27 AM in response to PAHU

Thanks for that info Pahu. That is what I had done in the past, and what I just tried again as well. A tech just swung by to update the firmware of the printer, and it didn't fix the problem either. I can print fine. It's getting the bi-pass or manual feed selection within my print dialogue box to tell the printer to do the same. It was a feature I greatly enjoyed, and I hate that I seemed to have lost it somehow. Again, thanks.

Aug 7, 2010 6:04 PM in response to Pitzer

Pitzer wrote:
It's getting the bi-pass or manual feed selection within my print dialogue box to tell the printer to do the same. It was a feature I greatly enjoyed, and I hate that I seemed to have lost it somehow.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that the Paper Source menu is not available under the Quick Access panel under Fiery Features? Or is it available, but after selecting it the machine still fails to print from the manual feed.

If you don't see the Paper Source menu in the Quick Access panel then you can press the Customize button and add the Paper Souce menu to the panel. You also have the option of pressing the Full Properties button which will open another window. Then under the Media section you have the Paper Source menu.

So, there are several things you need to confirm for me.
1. Do you see the Fiery Features menu in the Print Dialog?
2. If you see Fiery Features do you see Paper Source in the Quick Access panel?
3. If you don't see the Paper Source menu in the Quick Access panel, can you press Customize to add it to the panel.
4. If you press Full Properties, do you see the Media tab and within this menu the Paper Source menu?

Pahu

Aug 9, 2010 10:02 AM in response to PAHU

PAHU wrote:
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that the Paper Source menu is not available under the Quick Access panel under Fiery Features? Or is it available, but after selecting it the machine still fails to print from the manual feed.

Yes, sorry, I should have been more descriptive. I do see have access to the paper source option, but when I select it and send to print, the printer pulls from tray 1 or 2 (letter size), and not the bi-pass tray.

So, our firmware for the printer has been updated. I am told that the next step is for the tech to stop by and update the software on the Fiery controler.

I'll let you know what happens.

Aug 9, 2010 6:02 PM in response to Pitzer

It may not be a firmware issue. I have seen this when the Canon board PPD is used for a Fiery connected Canon. If you select the printer queue in Print & Fax, and then open Options & Supplies, under the Driver tab do you definitely have the "Canon iR-ADV C7000s-A1 PSV1.0US"? If you connected via Bonjour the 9000 series may have been selected automatically and this could be the issue.

Aug 10, 2010 8:37 AM in response to PAHU

OK. Looks like we figured it out. While trying to print to the manual feed tray, I was using the first paper feed drop down option, which I was told was the Mac option.

You have to go further down the list to the Fiery options and do it there. I never gave that a try, since back on 10.4, the Mac option was the one that worked just fine.

Thanks for your help and time!

Aug 10, 2010 5:20 PM in response to Pitzer

Good to read that you got it working. Shame you didn't read my responses with a bit more care. I mentioned that you need to use the Quick Access Panel within the Fiery Features menu in my first and second reply. Could have saved you some time. Still sometimes you only learn things if you find the solution yourself.

Sep 15, 2010 10:38 AM in response to Pitzer

Greetings - we are considering leasing an IR 7055, but quite honestly, we are having some issues - maybe with our dealer - concerning this device. First, color-on-color registration is not good on the demo machine, reverse text is fuzzy on the edges, and the dealer doesn't seem to know whether it will print in a continuous tone mode, or whether it will only print with the rather coarse halftone dot (looks like 133 lpi to the naked eye). Presently, even black type is not crisp - our $300 laser printer works better. It's connected to the standard ImagePass A1 controller. If someone on this forum has some experience with this device, please respond.

Sep 16, 2010 2:08 AM in response to GCRvbref

Sounds like the machine has not been calibrated correctly - probably the transport got slight damage, especially if it's been used for other dems. If the dealer cannot resolve this then I wouldn't be buying from them.

Re the line screen, the Canon machines are not contone - they are laser-based and thus have a fixed dot-size. They use a dither matrix (pre-determined pattern) to produce the halftone. But this can be adjusted via the Fiery Features > Full Properties > Image > Halftone menu. On this same page there are also other settings that can improve the output but until the machine is correctly configured you will not see any vast improvements.

Nov 17, 2010 3:55 PM in response to PAHU

PAHU, may i just say that you seem to be one of the most knowledgable people i've ever come across regarding driver support for the imagepass products. Thanks for your helpful answers above.

I was hoping you might know if there's an A1 driver that allows 10.6 users to review Fiery Features in 64 bit apps without crashing. I keep seeing the same drivers from back in March 2010. I know the PPDs have been updated since then (v3.0 seems current on the canon site) but i don't believe that will address the problem.

It also seems nuts that the installers still require rosetta. I keep thinking there must be an update I'm missing somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich

Nov 17, 2010 4:33 PM in response to Satffochi

Hello Rich,

The v3.0 driver was the last update to support 10.6. There was no PPD update for the imagePASS controllers - this was for the built-in Canon controller.

Regarding the Fiery Features, you may want to check that you have v3.1.025.0 of the EF283976(FF).plugin installed. This will be located in HD > Library > Printers > Canon > PS3 > PDEs.

I haven't heard of any crashing of the Fiery Features just with 64bit apps. I have seen it crash with any app when accessing one of the ColorWise panel and from memory there was a Crash Reporter log with a heading of 'EFItoJP'. So check your Console logs for something similar. I reported this to Canon but nothing came of it.

As for Rosetta, yes it does seem odd that the installer requires it and for the record they have not updated it yet. As to why EFI persists with the ViSE installer is hard to fathom. It is also very annoying with how long it pauses as it checks for previous versions of Harmony.

Pahu

Canon IR Adv 7055 PPD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.